City of the Spider Queen

Dakkareth

First Post
Merion lets his gaze wander through the room for a moment, absently nodding to Jyren's remark. Then, snapping out of his musings, he indicates the passage at the far side of the room and looks at the others questioningly. With a parting look at the statue he follows after Rashak onwards, deeper into the crypts.

OOC:
This is assuming that Merion notices nothing of special interest.

Sorry for taking so long to post ...

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - In the crypts

You move away from the statue, deeper into the complex. You enter a tunnel of some sorts, turning sharply to the south for some feet before again going in a westward direction. A abrely noticable bulge in the tunnel is marked by more graves carved into the wall. Here they line only the east side.
About halfway through the tunnel Merion is suddenly attacked. A sticky strand attackes itself to him, and he is dragged towards the western end of the wall. What you previously thought was a piece of the tunnel wall now appear to have come alive and is dragging Merion towards its gaping maw.

Innitative:
Rashak - 21
Merion - 16
Jyren - 15
Roper - 14
Hazrael - 8

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
Merion gives a cry of surprise (What the ...?) as the gluey tentacle closes around his ankles and pulls him off his feet. Hitting the floor painfully he adds a yelp of pain to the chaos erupting within the cramped tunnel. Despite several attempts Merion is unable to hold on to anything and is dragged closer and closer to the toothy maw. Close to panic he starts frantically digging through his component pouch, finally producing the required materials. As the energy of the weave starts flowing through him, filling him with confidence, fear gives way to determination, though. With a snarl Merion hurls a brightly glowing pellet trailing streamers of flame towards the 'face' of the monsters, where it detonates with an earth-shaking BOOM!

That should teach you to attack your betters ... but if it doesn't I'm in deep trouble.

OOC:
I'm assuming that spellcasting is possible to Merion in this post, let me know if I'm wrong and I'll change it. Also in the interest of quick posting I replied now, though I'm only second in initiative. In the case of drastic changes to the situation, I'll edit my post.

Relevant stat stuff:

attack bonus +4, HP 58+1d10 (have you rolled for this btw?), AC 19/19/19, Saves +8/+6/+11, charsheet here
the spell employed is an empowered fireball, DC 20 for 10d6*1.5 damage, aimed as to hit only the roper, if possible

Last edited:

Surprised at the sudden movement, Jyren jumped slightly. He quickly composed himself, seeing the thing grab onto Merion. Glad he still had the shortsword out, and not yet ready to trust his skills with magic again, Jyren moved in and stabbed at the thing.

((Attacking with shortsword.))

silentspace

First Post
Whatever that is, it's intelligent, Rashak thinks. It was smart enough to let Hazrael and me pass before attacking the spellcasters in the rear.

Rashak moves quickly to Merion and starts hacking at the tentacles holding the wizard. He also scans the area, looking for more creatures hiding along the walls of the cavern.

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - In the crypt, battle with the roper.

Round 1.

With a sudden burst of speed Rashak runs to Merion and chops at the strand, severing it with a chop of his scimitar. Rolled a 14 for a total of 33, a hit. Did 16 damage.

Merion is able to cast his weave at the beast, but in the meantime Rashak has gotten inside of the blast radius. With surprisingly speed the young man throws himself out of harms way, and the burst of fire surrounds the roper for a few moments. When the flames disapear, the roper hiss at you. Rashak rolled a natural 20, avoiding the damage from the Fireball. The Roper was lucky as well, since Merion only rolled a 9, for a total of 21, for overcoming the ropers SR.

Moving in on the roper, shortsword drawn, the genasi cleric attacks with all his might. Unfortunately he is not able to penetrate the creatures thick hide. Rolled a 2, for a total of 11, a miss.

Angry at the weakling trying to poke a hole through its hide, the roper turns towards Jyren, and opens its massive jaw, biting the cleric. When the heavy jaws close, it seems rather suprised to find there was nobody there; Jyren was able to move out of the way in time! Ouch, rolled a natural 1 for the roper.

Seeing as DemonAtheist haven't been online sinde the 25th, I'll auto-pilot him untill he give some signs of life.
Reacting quickly at the danger of the beast, the ranger falls to one knee and release a barrage of arrows. The first two are not able to penetrate the creatures natural armor, but the last arrow is, and the roper shudders as the shaft burries itself in its flesh. Using Rapid Shot. Rolled a 4 and a 7, for a total of 21 and 19, both miss. Last attack rolled a 16, for a total of 28, a hit. Dealing 9 damage.

Round 2:
Rashak
Merion
Jyren
Roper
Hazrael

Hazrael - 10 damage
Rashak - 9 damage
Jyren - Unhurt, -1str, -1dex and -1con, dropping Jyrens dex modifier by 1
Merion - Unhurt
Roper - 25 damage

Active spells/feats etc:
Mage Armor, boosting Merions AC to 19
False Life, adding 16 HP to Merions HP.
Protection from Arrows, Giving Merion DR 10/magic against arrows

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
Thanks!, Merion calls out to Rashak, much relieved to be free of the roper's grasp. As his conjured explosion engulfs the dervish as well he cringes. Damn! Is this, how I thank a friend for helping me? Concentrate, Sinfad, concentrate! At least this monster should ... no, wait. Merion's eyes widen as realization hits him. It's resilience to sorcery must be extraordinary.

His thoughts racing the wizard tries to decide upon a course of action that will be beneficial to the group.

OOC:
The greater spell penetration feat raises Merion's bonus to spell penetration checks to 4, just for future reference.

I'm going to post my actions after <silentspace> has.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Rashak grits his teeth as the fireball explodes around him, singing him. He fully expected Merion's fireball to do some serious damage to the roper, and is a little dismayed that it does not.

Saying a quick prayer, Rashak whirls his scimitars as he enters a Dervish Dance.

OOC: Full Atk +20/+15 melee (1d6+13/crit 18-20, +2 scimitar) and +20/+15 melee (1d6+10/crit 18-20, +2 scimitar)

Jyren allowed himself a sigh of relief at avoiding the jaws of the creautre. Its size was much more than he'd originally expected, and he knew he wasn't as useful in a close fight as Rashak was. So...he decided to fix that. Keeping his eyes on the creature, Jyren concentrated on a spell to make him more useful.

((Casting defensively. Divine Favor.))

Dakkareth

First Post
Evaluating the different options it takes Merion's finely honed mind only a few seconds to reach a decision: With two quick steps he brings himself in a position, from where he can see past the large monstrosity and aims carefully. With an evil smile on his face the necromancer makes a ripping gesture with both hands, suddenly holding a shiver of darkness in them. A few words of chaining bind it into the desired form and with a snarl Merion flings it past the roper. Now I return the favor.

As the spell hits the ground with a dry whisper, the tunnel is suddenly filled with convulsing tentacles of black. Twisting around the beast and its many appendages they do their best to constrict it and squeeze the life from its body. Oh, the irony ... See, if you like the touch of these things!

Aloud Merion calls to his comrades: Stay clear of the arms! They don't distinguish between friend and foe.

OOC:
Casting Evard's black tentacles, aimed behind the roper as to affect only him, not Rashak and Jyren. If necessary Merion uses up his move action to make sure the spread is aimed exactly (no more friendly fire, if avoidable);).
I'm not entirely sure, how it will affect the roper and its strands (haven't read the MM entry), but unless it's immune to grappling attacks, it should have *fun* :].

ab +4, HP 64 (16 of which are temporary), AC 19/19/19, Saves +8/+6/+11, concentration +15, charsheet here
The Evard's black tentacles grapple every creature within its area at +18 and are immune to all damage. After initiating the grapple, they deal 1d6+4 bludgeoning damage per round (no save, no sr, duration 10 rounds, dismissable).

Last edited:

Remove ads