City of the Spider Queen

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - In the crypts, battle with the roper

Round 2

Rashak launch into a dance of death, attacking the ugly creature. His scimitars nicks and slashes the roper in quick succession, wounding it severly.
Rolled a 14, a 14, a 2 and a 8, for a total of 31, 28, 19 and 20. 2 hits. Rolled a 5 and a 3 for a total of 25 damage.

A myriad of black tentacles spring forth from the ground around the roper, reaching for it. Some of the tentacles are able to get a hold on the roper, and start to crush the monstrosity. Rolled a 7 for a total of 25 on the grapple check. The roper rolled a total of 20, so grapple is innitiated. Rolled a 6 for a total of 10 damage.

With a sigh of relief Jyren lets out a short prayer to Istishia, and for a few moments an aqua light envelops the water genasi.

In a burst of strength the roper is able to tear free from the tentacles, and moves a few feet back into the tunnel. As a result, Rashak sees an opportunity to slash it again, but the ropers natural armor stops the flashing weapon, and it is not able to penetrate the hide. Rolled a total of 36 on the grappling check, ending the grapple. Then moved 5ft. north, invoking an AoO from Rashak. Rashak rolled a 5 for a total of 22, a miss.

The silent Tiefling send away another volley of arrows,
Using Rapid Shot. Rolled a 2, a 12 and a 8 for a total of 19, 24 and 25, two hits. Rolled a 5 and a 3 for a total of 18 damage.

The roper is now 5 ft. farther north, still in the arrea of the tentacle spell. If anyone wants to engage it in melee, they will be affected by the spell as well.

Round 3:
Rashak
Merion
Jyren
Roper
Hazrael

Hazrael - 10 damage
Rashak - 9 damage
Jyren - Unhurt, -1str, -1dex and -1con, dropping Jyrens dex modifier by -1
Merion - Unhurt
Roper - 68 damage

Active spells/feats etc:
Divine Favor on Jyren, granting him +3 luck bonus on attack and damage.
Mage Armor, boosting Merions AC to 19
False Life, adding 16 HP to Merions HP.
Protection from Arrows, Giving Merion DR 10/magic against arrows

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Rashak takes a 5' step back, positioning himself to be between the roper and as many as his friends as possible, especially Merion. He readies his blades against a tentacle attack.

Dakkareth

First Post
At this rate of fire it can't hold on much longer. This tiefling sure knows how to handly a bow. Keep going, Hazrael!, he encourages the bowman but doesn't take his eyes off the roper. If it does as much as twitch, I'm frying it.

Readying a fireball against the roper (aimed at a point down the tunnel as to not hit the party), if it successfully attacks a party member.

Jyren bit his lip and hestitated a moment. Making a quick decision, he stepped over beside Rashak and attempted to avoid the Roper and tentacles coming from the groundd, and swung his sword with the strength of his faith powering the swing.

((5ft step and melee attack...hope I'm not making a big mistake with this...))

Rayex

First Post
Day 1 - In the crypts, battle with the roper.

Round 3

Rashak readies an action: Attack when the roper attacks with a tentacle/strand.

Merion readies an action: A fireball if it successfully attacks a party member.

Jyren takes a small steb foreward, into the reach of the grasping tentacles. Taking a 5ft move into the area with the tentacles, to reach the roper. Rolled a total of 30 on the opposed grapple check, against Jyrens roll of 11, for a total of 19, and grapple is initiated. Rolled a 6 for a total of 10 damage.

The monster, again trapped in the strong grip of the black tentacles, seems to shudder for a final time, before toppeling over backwards, lying still on the caverns floor. Merion quickly dismiss the spell, and frees Jyren before any more harm is done. The spell got a total of 32 on its grapple check. Roper got a total of 26, and grapple is once more initiated. Rolled a 3 for a total of 7 damage.

Hazrael - 10 damage
Rashak - 9 damage
Jyren - 10 damage, -1str, -1dex and -1con, dropping Jyrens dex modifier by -1
Merion - Unhurt
Roper - Dead

Active spells/feats etc:
Divine Favor on Jyren, granting him +3 luck bonus on attack and damage.
Mage Armor, boosting Merions AC to 19
False Life, adding 16 HP to Merions HP.
Protection from Arrows, Giving Merion DR 10/magic against arrows

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
Merion remains tensed for a moment, watching as the beast keels over and his spell begins to rip its body apart. Then, exhaling the breath he had held, he lets the formula that had been burning in his mind fade and relaxes his posture. A quick gesture turns the black tentacles attacking Jyren back into quickly evaporating black mist.

Talk about a nasty surprise. The necromancer moves over to the roper's body, kneels down and examines it. I wonder, how it would do if I replaced the life-force that has fled with negative energy ... Merion stares at the body thoughtfully, running a hand over the large teeth. Standing up again he gives it a kick for good measure and looks at Rashak. Sorry about that spell, I didn't mean to hit you, too. It's a little hard to aim in such a confined environment. And thanks again for getting me free of that tentacle.

Before continuing onwards with the party Merion takes a moment to look at the place, where the roper had impersonated the wall, to see if there's a break-through to some other place or anything else of note.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Rashak, human dervish

Dakkareth said:
Sorry about that spell, I didn't mean to hit you, too. It's a little hard to aim in such a confined environment. And thanks again for getting me free of that tentacle.

Don't trouble yourself over it, Merion. And you're welcome. I would not have guessed these beasts are so intelligent though. Do you think it could have been posted here as a guard? Maybe something in the wall? Or further down the caverns?

Jyren lets out a sigh of relief and looks down at the creature. Idly studying it, he barely hears the other's speaking. Distantly paying attention, Jyren says over his shoulder, "I have a feeling assuming it just happened to be there is wishful thinking..."

Dakkareth

First Post
It does seem mightily convenient, that it would hide and wait for prey right here, yet the drow don't seem to have had any problems with it. Maybe someone following the path of nature (twisted as it must be in such a place) could have ... Merion lets his voice trail off looking thoughtful.

Something we could have asked of Hazrael :p. Oh well, paranoia is a way of living, too.

Rayex

First Post
After a few silent minutes, Hazrael speaks up. "I am sorry, but this just.... It just isn't for me." With an angry shake of his head, he rummages around his backpack and pockets for a few moments before tossing a sack at Merions feet. In the sack, you find some of the things he took from the graves; a shortspear with a lightning engraved on it, a wand, and a gold ring with an emerald.

Last edited:

Remove ads