• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Clarification on a Marilith's "Reactive" ability

Gwarok

Explorer
So like a lot of tougher melee based creatures a Marilith can use a reaction to add some AC to deflect an incoming melee attack. But listed under their abilities is "Reactive - can use a reaction on each turn". Does that mean that she can use it on each turn someone else takes? Say she is fighting 3 opponents, she can use a reaction on each of their turns to deflect one attack? It doesn't make much sense otherwise, but I think it was vaguely worded. Thanks.

Illithidbix

Explorer
Yes. I'm certain that's the intention of both abilities.
What do you think is vaguely worded about it?

REACTIONS said:
Certain special abilities, spells, and situations allow you to take a special action called a reaction. A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s. The opportunity attack, described later in this chapter, is the most common type of reaction.

When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn. If the reaction interrupts another creature’s turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction.

Reactive: The marilith can take one reaction on every turn in a combat.

Reactions
Parry. The marilith adds 5 to its AC against one melee attack that would hit it. To do so, the marilith must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

Gwarok

Explorer
Just wasn't sure, seemed pretty damn awesome and I wanted to make sure I was reading that right. Also, it looks like 4 minutes before I posted this someone else posted the exact same question. Small world :)

jrowland

First Post
Yes, each turn means "Each creatures turn to take action(s) and move". A round is when all creatures have taken a turn.

IIRC, you can only take reactions on other creatures turns, but reactive allows the Marilith to take a reaction on her turn as well (in response to an opportunity attack, or a readied action). So that is an additional benefit if memory is correct.

I usually jigger initiative count around so there are no duplicate initiative numbers. If you do the same, a "turn" is an initiative count.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes, each turn means "Each creatures turn to take action(s) and move". A round is when all creatures have taken a turn.

IIRC, you can only take reactions on other creatures turns, but reactive allows the Marilith to take a reaction on her turn as well (in response to an opportunity attack, or a readied action). So that is an additional benefit if memory is correct.
Additional is the word.

The main benefit is that she can parry every adventurer's attack. That is, she gets more than the one reaction usually allowed by the rules. (Just remember, she can only parry one attack per turn. So if you hit her with three attacks on your turn, two would inevitably pass by her parrying defense)

That she gets to parry on her own turn too is true, but to me it is more an indirect outcome of phrasing the Reactive ability in a clean and neat way than an intentional powerup. That is, phrasing the ability to only work on other people's turn was probably deemed messy and not necessary.

seebs

Adventurer
Got curious, went and looked it up. Reactions in general reset at the start of your next turn, so if you take a reaction anywhere from the start of your turn on through anyone else's turn, that's it. But you can take a reaction during your next turn if something allows it.

Another obvious example would be, you move, you provoke AoO, you cast shield in response to the attack.

Kithas

First Post
Got curious, went and looked it up. Reactions in general reset at the start of your next turn, so if you take a reaction anywhere from the start of your turn on through anyone else's turn, that's it. But you can take a reaction during your next turn if something allows it.

Another obvious example would be, you move, you provoke AoO, you cast shield in response to the attack.

This is correct. Another example that my battlemaster does often is Riposte a missed opportunity attack.

Illithidbix

Explorer
A little off topic but this statement is incorrect, you can have a reaction on your own turn. The standard example is counterspelling someone trying to counterspell you.

Yep:
To quote
REACTIONS said:
Certain special abilities, spells, and situations allow you to take a special action called a reaction. A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s. The opportunity attack, described later in this chapter, is the most common type of reaction.

When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn. If the reaction interrupts another creature’s turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction.

It is admittedly a strong contender for "most easy to miss rule in 5E", along with the restrictions on casting with bonus action spells.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads