Class Compendium Official Announcement

Hmm. I'd rather see an actual revised PHB. This just looks like Essentialized filler.

Hmmmm, lets see... We already have a Rules Compendium that has effectively all the general rules from PHB1 and 2, and a good bit of PHB3 stuff. So lets see, what do we need reprinted that is in PHB1? Combat rules? Nope. Powers already present in HotFL and HotFK? Nope. Races? Nope. Magic Items? Nope. Skills? Nope. Feats, yeah somewhat. That basically leaves lets see... I know, CLASSES!

I mean honestly, what else do you want to see reprinted? The PHB1 classes are THE one thing that both really needs an update and isn't already present in a brand new book in the new format. We'll get a bunch of the original classes with some slight polishing, maybe some cleanup of some powers, all the errata, etc. We will also apparently get many of the feats that haven't made it into the new books or that need an update or whatever as well. Then we'll get some new feats and some sort of rule for swapping Martial class features with encounter/daily exploits or something along those lines, which I really don't think is a bad thing. Maybe we'll see some material from MP1 and MP2 as well, hard to say for sure.

Anyway, seems like EXACTLY the book that makes the most sense for them to put out right now. I think it is useless to wish for the hardback format to return. It was nice enough, but honestly the binding quality on the 4e hardbacks is pretty questionable anyhow. I think these paperbacks are both going to stand up to hard use better AND they're cheaper. What really is not to like?

I mean if you just dislike the older stuff, well then don't buy the book! If you DID like the older stuff then this should be a great book, though probably not really vital for people that have DDI and all the PHBs/Power books.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Hmm. I'd rather see an actual revised PHB. This just looks like Essentialized filler.

The PHB is dead.

There is no such thing as Essentialized filler as 'Essentialized' is the new format.

320 pages for 5 classes is a tremendous amount of info. The 4E PHB covered 8 classes, the game rules, rituals, and magic items in less pages. Sure, they were 8.5x11 vice 6x9, but the Class Compendium will have at least 40 pages per class, compared to the PHB's 14 each.

Last edited:

Reaper Steve

Explorer
One more thing...
This clearly paves the way for a second Class Compendium covering the classes in heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (+1 more if the model holds... any guesses as to #5?)

It looks like HotFL and HotFK will essentially be 'basic' class books, with the Class Compendiums being the 'advanced' versions.

So, the real question is, will the Class Compendiums make the HotFL/K books unneccesary? HotFL is only 2/3 classes, with the other third giving enough of the rules and additional stuff (equipment, skills, etc.) that a new player could use it as a single source. I suspect that the Class Compendiums will be purely class.

Didn't we see a rumor that Heroes of Shadow was going to be pushed back? It would make sense to me to get the Compendiums with the core classes out before branching into a new power source in print. (Edit: as of right now, the Wizards product catalog shows both published on 3/15/11. That's going to be a classy month!)

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
One more thing...
This clearly paves the way for a second Class Compendium covering the classes in heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (+1 more if the model holds... any guesses as to #5?)

The obvious choices would be barbarian, bard, or monk (all being 3e PH1 classes not in HotFL or HotFK), and of those, I'd bet on bard. With just the 'classic 4e' builds, the HoFK classes (druid, paladin, ranger, warlock) are missing a leader.

If they went back for a third spin... barbarian and monk are obvious as that finishes 3.5 core classes, and then I'd fill it out with swordmage, artificer, and psion despite nothing even resembling a thematic grouping (again fills all the combat roles, plus I think swordmages and psions are rather popular and it's likely there are people out there who don't buy setting-specific stuff or subscribe to D&Di and so haven't seen swordmage and artificer).

Remove ads