D&D 5E Class Groups and Weaponry

Warbringer

Explorer
If you want simplicity and at the same time class differentiation the ignore the type of weapon and just say fighters are best no matter what they use, so

Fighters d10 or 2d6 two weapon or two handed
Cleric d8
Rogues d6 or 2d4 two weapon
Mage d4

Dungeon world basically does this

Frostmarrow

First Post
If you want simplicity and at the same time class differentiation the ignore the type of weapon and just say fighters are best no matter what they use, so

Fighters d10 or 2d6 two weapon or two handed
Cleric d8
Rogues d6 or 2d4 two weapon
Mage d4

Dungeon world basically does this

I do agree with this. It's simple and to the point but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi that I've come to expect from D&D. I think D&D at its' best does something in a fairly economic yet quirky way. This simple yet quirky nature is what I shoot for with this suggestion.

Yes - it is illogical to tie slashing weapons to warriors.

But - it still works with the addition of Feats that include extra proficiencies.

Designing the most elegant game in the world and designing the best D&D in the world are two completely different pursuits. D&D is not a historical simulation yet it draws inspiration from history. D&D does not feature The Glory of Rome. D&D features The Glory of Hobgoblins.

Derren

Hero
D&D is not a historical simulation yet it draws inspiration from history. D&D does not feature The Glory of Rome. D&D features The Glory of Hobgoblins.

And yet in my opinion history enhances role playing. So instead of using things because "it doesnt matter and always has been that way" it is more interesting to fall back to actual history.

Remove ads