Level Up (A5E) Class redesign

dave2008

Legend
To me generic culture (since we are looking settingless):

Agricultural area (get animal handling or nature or survival)
Big City
Port City (good with knots or sailing or small boat handling or swimming)
Industrial Area
Militaristic nation
Religious nation
University town/city
Trading center (learn 1 additional language of your choice)

etc........so, you might grow up in an agricultural area, but not be a farmer. Your culture might give you +2 to nature, or survival, for example. If you were a farmer (or even farmhand) as your background, you'd get another +2 and have some knowledge of tools or animal handling

You grow up in a university city, you might get a boost to some Wis or Int skill.

Stuff like that makes sense to me. Of course, there would be traits/flaws/whatever to go along with the modifiers.
In general I agree, but I am starting to like the idea that your culture is comprised of several things you get to choose:

Culture:
  1. Select a background
  2. Select a religious system (including none)
  3. Select an environment (coastal, mountain, rural, urban, etc.)
All three (or more) make up your culture and they all give you different things.

Your culture could be a la carte: pick a background, pick a lifestyle, pick a community, pick a religion, etc. and all of these go into your "culture." It could be a generic set of tables that cover a wide range of aspects that together define your character's "culture."
Actually, that is what I have been saying. It is alacarte.

The "culture" is made out of the possible background choices.

Change the backgrounds and the culture becomes different.

None of this would require a specific setting. Just some lists to roll on or select from to pick 3-5 elements that make up your culture. I think I like that idea a lot.

The choice of background IS the "culture".

For example, if I pick a Nomadic background. Then the character comes from a nomadic background.

Somewhere in the SETTING a nomadic culture must now exist.

Either the DM included the background because there is one or more nomadic cultures that are prominent in the setting. Or the player is asking the DM for this background, and the DM is willing to find a place in the setting where a nomadic culture can make some sense.

Either way, there is a one-to-one correspondence between background and culture.

Besides background, what else is necessary to reflect a culture? The background can supply a language, and work like History to make Lore checks that pertain to that culture. Nothing else is needed, mechanically, beyond a background.

Meanwhile, a DM might want to point to an area in a setting map to give the player a sense of where the culture is currently flourishing.

Suppose the DM wants a magi-tech Mountain Dwarf culture. The DM can create say 5 backgrounds with magi-tech themes. Think about how a dwarf in that culture would use this technology. Say, there is a Dwarven magi-tech brewery, that uses magic and rituals to produce high quantities of high quality ale. There might be a ritual that allows a character to convert underground fungi into excellent ale. Perhaps the ale is nutritious and serves as a hearty meal (for those with high alcohol tolerance). Perhaps there are even medicinal properties, like removing 1 level of exhaustion extra per long rest, or longevity. Perhaps there is only one particular mountain where the dwarven community is known for their magi-tech. In any case, creating five backgrounds that highlight the main tropes of that community culture, brings the culture to life. The backgrounds help the players identify with the gameworld culture in a fun way.

Meanwhile the "dwarven magi-tech brewer" gains access to the language of that mountain, perhaps a peculiar dialect. Any skill checks about that mountain culture and other cultures that have connections with it (mainly from market contacts), are proficient because of the background.

Does every dwarf speak the same language? Probably not. Humans dont. So the actual language depends on the setting, but the background grants it, whatever it is.

Last edited:

In general I agree, but I am starting to like the idea that your culture is comprised of several things you get to choose:

Culture:
  1. Select a background
All three (or more) make up your culture and they all give you different things.

To me background is everything.

Religious system? Pick a background that refers to it. Maybe the character comes from a priestly family, or was groomed to serve as a shaman? The asset could be some kind of sacred ritual that the character can perform with a benefit.

Terrain? That comes with the background. Only characters who actually do sail, would know how to sail. Only character who actually mine metal would know how to mine metal.

Presumably, any Background is customizable. So it is possible for a player to tweak a background, to swap in a different tool proficiency, for example.

dave2008

Legend
The choice of background IS the "culture".

For example, if I pick a Nomadic background. Then the character comes from a nomadic background.

Somewhere in the SETTING a nomadic culture must now exist.
Ok, as I suspected we are using different meanings for the same terms.

Besides background, what else is necessary to reflect a culture? The background can supply a language, and work like History to make Lore checks that pertain to that culture. Nothing else is needed, mechanically, beyond a background.
I think there could be more to it than just your background as I noted here. I mean I could want to be from a nomadic background that this polytheistic or animist or monotheist or something else. Better to break it down into more options IMO.

dave2008

Legend

Religious system? Pick a background that refers to it. Maybe the character comes from a priestly family, or was groomed to serve as a shaman? The asset could be some kind of sacred ritual that the character can perform with a benefit.

Terrain? That comes with the background. Only characters who actually do sail, would know how to sail. Only character who actually mine metal would know how to mine metal.

Presumably, any Background is customizable. So it is possible for a player to tweak a background, to swap in a different tool proficiency, for example.
One of the backgrounds is Soldier, I would like to be able to vary the "culture" of that soldier based on his/her religion and the environment they were raised in. I think that could be wrapped up into backgrounds, but rather than having one choice carry so much weight I would prefer to have mutiple choices make up my total culture.

Ok, as I suspected we are using different meanings for the same terms.

I think there could be more to it than just your background as I noted here. I mean I could want to be from a nomadic background that this polytheistic or animist or monotheist or something else. Better to break it down into more options IMO.
I agree. Also, there can be multiple "nomadic" background options existing at the same time, referring to different cultures.

Now, even if no players pick the background sacred community, the DM can still use the background for NPCs that the players can establish relationships with, when they show up for major holidays, or even participate in the community daily during downtimes away from adventuring.

The existence of backgrounds shapes a culture even when nonplayers do these community roles.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I agree. Also, there can be multiple "nomadic" background options existing at the same time, referring to different cultures.

Now, even if no players pick the background sacred community, the DM can still use the background for NPCs that the players can establish relationships with, when they show up for major holidays, or even participate in the community daily during downtimes away from adventuring.

The existence of backgrounds shapes a culture even when nonplayers do these community roles.
You can cover a lot more ground if break it out, instead of slamming it all into backgrounds. Also, we already have a game element called a background and rather than redefine that, I find it more useful to incorporate it into something new called "Culture."

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Culture:
  1. Select a background

That works for me also.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Well, that's a much bigger background, which really encompasses all three things we are talking about. But it's easier to mix and match three different things, than to build all the things that contain all the combinations thereof.....

Remove ads