D&D 5E [Classes and Races] Adventurers of Kara-Tur now available

Sacrosanct

Legend
Find it on the DM's Guild HERE!

A full flash preview is there, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Included in this product are 5e versions of the following:

Subclasses, including:

* Bushi (warrior who uses chi to empower his combat ability)

* Samurai (the most honorable of warriors, leaders of the battlefield and masters of their sacred weapons)

* Sohei (warrior monks who are as hard as stone. Literally)

* Kensai (the master with her bonded weapon, becoming a flurry of death)

* Ninja (skilled at both warfare and stealth, master at disappearing)

* Wu Jen (a sorcerer who gains her powers from the animal spirits)

A new playable race, the animal-like yokai!

A basic list of weapons and armor unique to the lands of the Far East

coverweb.jpg

barasawa

Explorer
I can't seem to help but feel we're getting nickel and dimed to death with these things. I really didn't expect DLC to infest D&D.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I can't seem to help but feel we're getting nickel and dimed to death with these things. I really didn't expect DLC to infest D&D.

The "I don't want to pay full price" age we now live in has facilitated the DLC movement. The percentage of quantity>=price has fallen off, making small transactions seem more financially possible for those without disposable incomes. I'm interested in seeing the quality aspect of it all, as so far what has been put on the Guild has been effortlessly subpar.
However, this release already looks better than many. I'll have to digest the preview for a bit.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Did you miss the 90s? :)

Seriously, if you look at "DLC" meaning extra content for sale, D&D has been infested with it since the early 80s, and especially since the 90s with Lorraine Williams era.

Think of it like this. Rather than have to buy full sized books to get your info, thanks to the electronic age, you can get what you want ala carte. And for a much cheaper price. For example, this product is only $1.95 for an 18 page document. That doesn't exactly break the bank for folks, and those who are interested in incorporating the traditional Asian classes into their game can. And those who have no interest can easily ignore it. Either way, you're not spending $30 for something that you may only use 10% of. I think that's good progress, rather than something to be disappointed about.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Agreed! I'd much rather pick this up than say a monster manual 5 for $40 and use 3 monsters out of. Let me buy the 3 monsters :)
I'm picking this one up just for the Kensei as I've always enjoyed them.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Agreed! I'd much rather pick this up than say a monster manual 5 for $40 and use 3 monsters out of. Let me buy the 3 monsters :)
I'm picking this one up just for the Kensei as I've always enjoyed them.

Thank you! If you haven't already gotten it, I'll give you a head's up. I've taken an unusual approach with some things. For example, the kensai has traditionally been considered a fighter type class. I actually have them as a monastic tradition. Why?

* Everyone in 5e has the same prof bonus, so you don't have to worry about fighters having the best chance to hit anymore
* Many of the skills have incorporated the chosen weapon into existing monk class features, meant to compliment each other. For example, when you choose your weapon, it is considered a monk weapon that also becomes eligible for the 6th level ki empowered strike. There are also options of spending ki to increase defense with the weapon, increasing reach, making it eligible for flurry of blows, and of course, whirlwind attack (gotta have that tradition) ;)

I hope it works for your table.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I did pick it up and reading through it. I've never examined game stuff to determine if it's overpowered or not. I'm glad you responded on how you approached things. I'm guessing you feel theses classes are overall balanced pretty well with what we have so far from WoTC?

when I first skimmed the bushi archetype, I thought the chi part was a little much but then when I read it thoroughly, I thought it did fall in line with current archetypes. Nicely done.

Last edited:

ChapolimX

Explorer
Don't know if this is the intent but the flash preview is totally unreadable (small), therefore useless to me. If the product is not pay what you want I would rather at least have a full page preview of one the classes. I'm really not comfortable to buy anything at DMG without take a look at the quality first. Just an opinion.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Don't know if this is the intent but the flash preview is totally unreadable (small), therefore useless to me. If the product is not pay what you want I would rather at least have a full page preview of one the classes. I'm really not comfortable to buy anything at DMG without take a look at the quality first. Just an opinion.

Fair enough points. I do think it might be intentional, because the flash preview is to give you an idea of what you're getting without giving away the entire product. I.e., you can see if the layout is halfway decent or really crappy, how the art is, etc.

I hope this helps:

wujenpreview.jpg
wujenpreview2.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DTRPG's automatic flash previews are just there to give an quick impression of the layout quality. So you can see if it's colour, full of art, or just an MS Word document.

Creators have an option to set both a flash preview, and a full sized preview of a few pages of their product. Of course, if their product is only a page or two, the latter doesn't work. But for longer products, the full size preview gives you half a dozen pages or so.

Remove ads