• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classes you're hoping WotC will create

Galendril

Explorer
There are a few classes that I really want to see, just for flavor and general awesomeness. First-off, I want a psionics system, because psionics is just too awesome not to include. Once we get a psionics system in place, I'd love to have a (nerfed) Erudite too, because wizard + psionics = double awesome. I also want to see a (nerfed) Archivist, because wizard + divine = double awesome as well.

I also think it'd be amazing to see the return of some prestige classes as subclasses!

What do you want?

AWESOME!

Well, a healer was the closest 3e ever came to the white mage archetype -Life cleric is just too martial bent for my tastes-.

Of course it is the flavor, but when the mechanics get in the way of that flavor I cannot have fun with it. This is my problem with it. Yes a sorcerer or warlock is a kind of wizard, but a generic wizard, not a d&d wizard which is a very specific thing -one I happen to hate-, that 10% you mention is the core of the class -and no I'm not talking about claws, scales and dragonbreath- the 10% that makes spellcasting not a voluntary thing that could happen anywhere -anywhere-, or that 10% that makes magic something stolen and not yours -and thus quite easy to do-. The 10% you cannot change without the classes is basically Presto, and I cannot stomach Presto.
My problem is the difference between sorcerers and wizards in 3e is basically how they cast spells. But, there were several different version of spellcasting in Unearthed Arcana. If you can swap out a wizard's spellcasting for spell points or other systems, you could have swapped out prepared casting for spontaneous casting.
Changing a wizard's spellbook to tattoos or innate knowledge or communing with a patron or something else is pretty much a change in flavour that doesn't necessitate an entire new class. The difference between a sorcerer and a wizard is no less different than a sha'ir wizard of Al Qadim or a defiler of Dark Sun, but the last two are still mechanically wizards.

The solution isn't six or seven different variant wizards but to allow and encouraging DMs to make changes to how magic works in their setting as part of their worldbuilding.

For example, a healer class isn't needed, just the removal of some of the martial tone of the cleric. That's easy for a character: just because the cleric is proficient in medium armour and shields, doesn't mean the character needs to wear it. It'd be just fine to grab robes and a staff and be a cloistered monastic cleric.
A DM could also have clerics in their world eschew armour and replace that proficiency with some form of spiritual armour that grants a higher base AC. Like the monk or barbarian.

Last edited:

Remove ads