D&D 5E Classes you're hoping WotC will create

Matau99

Explorer
There are a few classes that I really want to see, just for flavor and general awesomeness. First-off, I want a psionics system, because psionics is just too awesome not to include. Once we get a psionics system in place, I'd love to have a (nerfed) Erudite too, because wizard + psionics = double awesome. I also want to see a (nerfed) Archivist, because wizard + divine = double awesome as well.

I also think it'd be amazing to see the return of some prestige classes as subclasses!

What do you want?

Shiroiken

Legend
Honestly, they don't need new classes. The psion would probably be best as a new class, but even it could be done as a sub-class of sorcerer by renaming sorcery points (with Erudit as a Wizard subclass, for example). A new class should only be done if there is no easy way to do it under the existing sub-class system AND it provides a new mechanical option that many feel the game needs. A glut of classes (among other things) was one of the downfalls of previous editions, making character creation a nightmare.

Paraxis

Explorer
I liked the 3e Dragon Shaman, auras are fun and the flavor was cool.

I am a huge fan of Bladesingers from 4e, I have always loved them since the 2e complete book of elves but the cool factor of them in 4e was just right. You could swing your sword and get off a magic ray with a minor effect each turn, to replicate that in 5e you need to be either an EK fighter 7th level, or valor bard 14th both happen way to late in the game for my tastes.

A good pet class, something like the summoner from Pathfinder or something I have been thinking about writing up is a 5e version of the Sentinel Druid as a new subclass.

Aloïsius

First Post
I want a healer. Think white mage or something like that. Unarmored, nearly non-combatant, lots of spells related to healing, nature, divination. Not a D&D druid, because druid are combat oriented classes.
"But that would be an NPC class ?". Maybe. It's a powerful archtype however, and I could play one without problem. Could be linked to alignment, with a negative version tied to disease, corruption and destructive aspect of nature maybe.

Eric V

Hero
I miss the Avenger.

I know, I know: Paladins can take an oath of vengeance, but the similarities end there. I miss my stealthy, lightly armored blade of the faith holy assassin. Basically, I want the class as it was originally advertised: Batman with a holy symbol. Barring that, I want to play around with things to make vengeance paladins more Wis-based instead of Cha-based.

I miss the Warlord. Battlemaster doesn't quite do it for me; I'd sacrifice more personal attack power for more enabling and healing of allies.

Maybe those would be subclasses, I don't know.

Psionic-based classes, though I wonder what a sorcerer looks like taking only classic psionic-type spells. Might be the same.

-Eric

bogmad

First Post
Just give me a psion and then an artificer and call it at that. Add subclasses for the rest.

The artificer from the Eberron packet worked well as a wizard subclass called "Alchemist" but not so great to capture the story behind an actual artificer.
Same way, you could reflavor a sorcerer as a psion, sure, but you have to change the story of the class. And part of what I like about this edition is that each class pairs story with its mechanics very well. We have yet to have any subclasses that also change the very story of what the class does.

Where a sorcerer is a person who casts spells from some innate source of magic, a psion does something a bit different. I certainly don't want to get into another thread debate about how psionics is just another form of magic. It may be for some games and not for others, and I thought this edition was the one that wanted to focus on telling the stories you want to tell. If they want to keep the same consistency with class and story they have so far, then psion as sorcerer subclass would depend on defining psionics as magic spells cast by the source of the mind, which would disappoint a lot of people. It's a win on all sides if they could create a class with new mechanics and story of it's own. Sure, some might complain it's not a subclass, but it seems like that would be a minority who aren't going to be playing psions anyway. Overall, I think most would be excited by psionics "done right" as they say they want to, moreso than the excitement they'd generate with just one subclass of the sorcerer [possibly with an alternate spell list tacked on? That opens a whole other can of worms, design-wise]

Tony Vargas

Legend
A Warlord, of course - it is the only PH1 class to be excluded from the 5e PH. It could have several quite distinct archetypes. There are the Tactical, Inspiring, Resourceful, Bravura, Insightful, Skirmishing, and Archer builds, the aura-based Marshal, and the 13A-style action-granting Commander. Even Pathfinder has a take on the class.

A psion or other psionic class(s) - while there was technically no psionic /class/ in any PH1, there was a psionics appendix in the 1e AD&D PH, so I think fans of psionics are entitled to something, sooner rather than latter. (And I say that as someone who honestly feels that psionics are a sci-fi bit with no place in D&D.)

And, while we maybe don't need a lot more classes, nor very many caster archetypes (there are already around 30 of them), maybe some non-casting archetypes: a wilderness Scout, a spelunking Delver, a Knight or (mounted) Cavalier, a Duelist, a martial-arts 'Master,' etc...

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
I'd go with the 'Rager'. It's a class that really like a particular hobby but can never be satisfied, thus driving it to epic and ultimately fruitless escapades.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Less a class than a playstyle
I hope WOTC makes a charge up class or subclass.

"Hey guys. Cover me while I make this GIGANTIC FIREBALL."

"Still charging it."

"Almost ready."

"Ready. 15d6 fire damage on a 3rd level slot."

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'd love to see a Swordmage class. You can get approximation thereof using eldritch knight, but it doesn't have the same feel or play style as the 4e swordmage. As I conceptualize it, the swordmage would be the arcane counterpart to the paladin, but with a lot of tricky and confounding abilities rather than the paladin's schtick.

Remove ads