Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print

Print on Deman Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild? (I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

Print on Deman

Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild?

(I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

I can buy two Pathfinder PDF books for the price of one D&D 3.5e PDF book, it's no wonder why their books are pirated, and available on various websites for free.

I haven't looked, but I imagine you can also find pirated Pathfinder books available for free on various torrents.

So I don't think there is a strong link between how much something costs in PDF format and whether or not it is pirated.

YawningWizard

First Post
I haven't looked, but I imagine you can also find pirated Pathfinder books available for free on various torrents.

So I don't think there is a strong link between how much something costs in PDF format and whether or not it is pirated.

No but it gives the willing to pay players, more incentive to take the "free" route instead. Pathfinder PDF books are $10, vs D&D's $12-$30 range (roughly), I mean, common!.

YawningWizard

First Post
Sorry I corrected the prices...D&D $13-$26CAN vs PF $13-17CAN.

Note: These are just for the products that I'm interested in. Yes I have purchased many books and PDFs myself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No but it gives the willing to pay players, more incentive to take the "free" route instead. Pathfinder PDF books are $10, vs D&D's $12-$30 range (roughly), I mean, common!.
As I understand it, it's been shown that people willing to pirate are not likely to buy at any price; lowering prices on that basis won't discourage piracy.

And, maybe the WotC 3.x material is just in more demand than Paizo's; it's not WotC bread and butter but a premium product; really, I think they are probably charging what the market will bear, reasons could undoubtedly be multiplied. Mostly, I am interested in older edition products in the $5-$10 range, personally.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

YawningWizard

First Post
All good points Parmandur.

On another note, I love how Paizo offers you a lite version of their PDF's to download, once you buy a book in PDF form. It's too bad the DMGuild didn't offer the same thing to it's customers; information on the lite version here.

This week's D&D release list.

Classic PDFs:

DLS4 Wild Elves (2e)
Sea of Fallen Stars (2e)
Wrath of the Minotaur (2e)
Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Vol 1 (2e)

Classic PoD:

Wrath of the Minotaur (2e)

Adventurer's League:

DDAL05-14 Reeducation (5e)
DDAL05-15 Reclamation (5e)
DDAL05-16 Parnast Under Siege (5e)

FYI, I was at the WotC offices yesterday meeting with Chris Lindsay, Mike Mearls, and other folks talking about DMsGuild, the D&D Classics PDF/PoD schedule, and some other stuff. I gathered a bunch of the feedback from this thread and a few other places for the discussion. Anyway, just wanted folks to know that I do value good feedback and we have some cool stuff on the horizon that I'll announce when I can.

-MMM

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As I understand it, it's been shown that people willing to pirate are not likely to buy at any price; lowering prices on that basis won't discourage piracy.

And, maybe the WotC 3.x material is just in more demand than Paizo's; it's not WotC bread and butter but a premium product; really, I think they are probably charging what the market will bear, reasons could undoubtedly be multiplied. Mostly, I am interested in older edition products in the $5-$10 range, personally.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Actually, it's been shown that pirates do purchase, and often purchase more than the average consumer. This is regarding music and books, but probably applies to game books, too.

For most pirating customers I know, the bar to paying for stuff is three-fold:

1. There are much more convenient ways to get the thing. They will pay for stuff like ad free Spotify, but won't pay for a physical, DRM laden copy, for instance. Before stuff like Spotify, that left them to just pirate unless there was a DRM free digital download at a reasonable price, with no annoying hoops to jump through. Likewise, I know ppl who pirated comics while until subscription services online became reasonable, and now they pay for access to comics in digital.

2. They don't like the company, but want the product.

3. It's too damn expensive. This mostly applies to video games. Most ppl I know who pirate games only pirate AAA games, and will still buy on steam if it's good.

Make of that what you will, obv.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads