• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
woodelf said:
Funny. I'd have said Dragon seemed so much less crunchy and more useful back in those days.

And your examples seem to agree with that statement. The Nine Hells articles are pretty much the antithesis of crunchy--without pulling them out, if there was any crunch at all it was maybe a new devil or two. Likewise, the ecology articles were tons of fluff, and only gradually got crunchier over time [though i hear they're now pretty much all crunch]. For that matter, i'd say that most of Greenwood's Dragon articles were at least heavily fluffy (The Wizards Three, Wyrms of the North), when they weren't all-fluff (The Merry Month of ... Myrtul?). I know the reason i loved some of his magic item articles was precisely for the fluff elements. The fact that a new magic shield would give me half a page or more of backstroy to go with the sentence of game stats was what made it so good.

Regarding Greenwood's "Dragons of the North" articles--how many bloody dragons does a campaign world need? Good grief...anyway..that's my piece on that.

But some of that fluff, especially the 1e and early 2e fluff, was (to me, anyway) interesting fluff. That Tesseract article kept me busy for days, just trying to wrap my 3 dimensional head around a 4 dimensional concept. It was fluff that educated and entertained, not like so much of what Dragon puts out now. The Githyanki issue was a lot of fluff, but it was at least something new and somewhat innovative, not another article about a famous tavern in the Forgotten Realms, for pity's sake. The ecology articles were great fluff, and I really miss those. But I prefer crunch. I can make up my own fluff. I just don't have the time to do both AND run a campaign world.

EB3

First Post
One of the first issues with a D&D-WW2 crossover. Reprinted in the first Best of Dragon. Wizards verses the SS...too cool.

woodelf

First Post
Faraer said:
woodelf, you never liked the Realms but you loved the Realms background in "Pages from the Mages" and "Arcane Lore"?

I loved Pages from the Mages because it gave me a spellbook with ab ackstory, and sometimes a character. I never found those particularly "Realmsian", unlike a lot of other Greenwood articles. I could easily slot one of those spellbooks in, drop the associated mage into my settings history somewhere, changing a few names or locations as needed, and i was all set. IIRC, most of the wizards depicted in Pages from the Mages were real bit-players in the Realms, and not tied all that specifically into Forgotten Realms stuff--not like the Symbul or Elminster or Thay. So, in short, it was isolated enough that it wasn't "Realms background" to me, it was just "background". Not entirely certain why i didn't find de-Realms-ing other articles harder and/or less satisfying.

As for Arcane Lore--i don't remember any of those being explicitly Forgotten Realms. They came from all different writers, and implied all sorts of different backgrounds. Used a couple in their entirety (working the wizard into the campaign history in some minor way), used a lot for just one spell here or there. I always liked to give PC wizards the feel of a tradition of apprenticeship and closely-guarded secrets, so i'd rated all spells as common, uncommon, or rare, and would give them mostly common spells to start with, but also a couple of uncommon and rare ones, usually including at least one or two spells the players (collectively) had never heard of--usually culled from something like Arcane Lore.

[just was rereading the very first Arcane Lore, and i'm entertained by the fact that it specifically says that they will sort out spells and print them in various groups as appropriate (i.e., themed), so don't count on seeing all your spells in one group; send no more than six spells per submission; and don't include magic items unless "closely tied" to the spells. That first column is credited to one author, and has 8 spells and a magic item.]

grodog

Hero
grodog said:
So, Erik, what can you tell us about your vague plans for all of this info? A Best of Dragon (Ever) compliation? 3.5 reprints of old classics? Tracking down the best authors of yore to get them to write for us?

More info please :D

*bump*

viscounteric

Explorer
The first dragons I ever bought were the most influential to my development as a player/DM.
#136: Building Blocks, City Style, A Room for a Knight, 50 Ways to Foil Your Players.
#137: Weathering the Storms, Treasures of the Wilds, What's for Lunch?
#145: A Castle here, a Castle There, Holding down the fort, Stronholds Three

I used those articles as crutches for my developing GMing 'skill' Eventually I weened myself off of relying on them all the time, but I'll still reference them from time to time (And Expeditious Retreats free e-book on the Magical Medieval City is the first that may be better, but more complicated, than the Dragon Article.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Hey Erik,

All this talk about good articles should highlight something that Dragon sorely lacks: a searchable index!

How about making the Paizo site useful and include an online index?

Cheers

Remove ads