• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

tigycho

Explorer
Gotta say, In no particular order:

Roger Moore's 'Point of View' Articles
Most of Best of Dragon 1, particularly:
- What to do when the Dog eats your Dice
- Excerpt from Interview with a Rust Monster
- Monkish Combat in the Arena of Promotion (or some such)
The Whole Half-Ogre
A PC and His Money
The countless articles in the first 60 or so that dealt with rules for world building, agriculture, manors, kingdoms, merchanting and the like

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i hope there is still room for more suggestions from latecomers, since the "volume 1" has been announced already. :)

Rawhide

First Post
I loved all the articles with names, languages and phrases. Those were immediately useful, and never needed rules crunch. Many are printed out and in my folder right now.

The old additional classes. The jester, anti-paladin and Incantrix in particular. I'd love to see new core classes for 3.5, too (like what's being done in the hardbacks with the healer, warlock, and hexblade.)

Ron

Explorer
I brought the Dragon Archive CD at the time it was released and it was a great disapointment. There were historically interesting things here and there but, in the end, I figured out I don't appreciate Dragon that much.

Still, there are some very good pieces:

The Voyage of the Princess Ark is, by far, the best thing I ever read in Dragon. It's clever, well written, and really hooks you to the very end.

A Plethora of Paladins not only is pretty good, but it also have find some use in my game.

Elminster's Hell Articles is a surprising good piece, as I think very poor of Mr. Greenwood writing skills (unlike many posters, I think that the Wizard's three series is rather weak).

IOUN Stones article is also very good (thanks Psion to recalling it).

Giants on Earth series was also excellent in early issues. I realize you may not be able to reprint them, but I also like the articles about mythological or historical characters.

Greyhawk's regional feats was the last article I liked (good job Erik), but it is, perhaps, too soon to republish it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
given that erik mona replied in that thread, i think it's safe to assume that he's at least aware of it. ;)

Razz0putin

Explorer
I've got to go with DungeonCraft.
although I think the is dragon relevant thread to take it way to far it does bring up some good points about how everyone makes classes, spells, magic items.
another great article in these modern times was the one about limiting prestige classes

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Off the top of my head:
  • Roger Moore's Point of View series
  • Roger Moore's editiorials
  • From the Sorcerer's Scroll: many, many articles from Gary Gygax explaining aspects of the game
  • See the Pomarj and Die! -- great example of fleshing out an undeveloped portion of an established campaign setting
  • The Politics of Hell
  • Roger Moore's Astral Plane article from #67
  • Poker, Chess, and the AD&D System by Gary Gygax -- explains why house rules and radical changes are "bad"
  • Day of the Dwarf
  • Snarf Quest
  • Yamara
  • The Twilght Empire
  • Fineous Fingers
  • Knights of the Dinner Table
  • Voyage of the Princess Ark
  • Known World Grimoir
  • IOUN stones article
  • Norse Dragons
  • Spike Y Jones's Ecology articles
  • First Quest
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Black Hand Thieves Guild
  • Psionics In Living Color
  • Giants in the Earth
  • Horses Are People, Too! -- horse traits
  • That's Familiar -- familiar enhancing spells
  • Featured Creatures -- official monsters
  • Care for a Drink? -- uses for decanter of endless water
  • Enemy at the Gates -- seige warfare in fantasy campaigns
  • Get Your Priorities Straight! -- alignment and motivation guidelines
  • Sage Advice
  • Forum -- before the internet, a great place for opinions of other fantasy role-players
  • Leomund's Tiny Hut
  • Rob Kuntz's Greyhawk campaign journals

The Shaman

First Post
I can't believe that no one's mentioned The Awful Green Things from Outer Space! - we could play that for days! We even designed the Znutar II, which was sent into space to recover the Znutar and met the Terrible Purple Things, the Awful Green Things' cousins...

I loved the Minaria articles - my 1e and 3.0e campaign-worlds were heavily influenced by the land of Divine Right, one of my all-time favorite board games.

The herb uses article was one that I actually ported into my games as both a player and a GM - I would love to see something like this updated, maybe released as a .pdf along with uses of gems, minerals, and so on.

I used the Traveller tesseract to increase the size of the cargo hold in my merchant captain's Type A freighter, the Half-Life. He was such a killer speculator that we had very little incentive to follow the GM's plot hooks, 'cause we were making credits hand over fist hauling industrial-world goods to the agrucultural-world one jump away...

Finally, there was the mini-game that I think of as the precursor to d20 Modern: Mugger. Put on your leather jacket, grab your switchblade and your Saturday Night Special, and hold up the liquor store or steal an old woman's Social Security check - good times. Until I made up a city map we used the city board from Squad Leader as our "campaign-map."

Funny how my most memorable articles from Dragon had nothing to do with D&D...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads