• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

cleave without the feat?

Slaved

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
That's a pretty astonishingly useless power then! I must have subconsciously decided to make it vaguely useful without realising it at some time in the past...

I had the same thought earlier actually. Before coming here I pointed out mighty cleaving to him only to see that it did not work!

Also found the sylvan blade but its limitations made it not useful here :(

mvincent

Explorer
Darklone said:
did they change mighty cleaving from 3.0 to 3.5? I could have sworn it granted cleave to someone without the feat earlier...
From the 3.0 SRD:
"A mighty cleaving weapon allows a wielder with the Cleave feat to make one additional cleave attempt in a round."

Arabesu

We use a similar house rule for mighty cleaving, but to not let the fighter who actually took cleave get outshined we neutered it a little bit:

No cleave? Then mighty cleaving allows "cleave" three times per day.
Got Cleave but no great cleave? Mighty cleaving w RAW.
Got Great Cleave? Mighty cleaving gives supreme cleave 3/day.
Got Supreme cleave? (never came up).

The most tragic thing about mighty cleaving is that RAW, if you qualify to construct it, then the item ability becomes useless to you. Hence the rules above.

Arabesu

hong

WotC's bitch
Aaron L said:
Plus, it breaks the stated design principle that they didn't want to make magic items that were magical for some people, but not for others, Thats why all Stat enhancing items are multiples of 2, so you always get a bonus. Making a magic item that only works if you have the proper feat seems to defeat this principle, as well as being weak.

I'm stealing this rule too, hong. Keep giving me more.
See, people? See this? Now this person, he listens to me.

Now what, Pinky?

Darklone

mvincent said:
From the 3.0 SRD:
"A mighty cleaving weapon allows a wielder with the Cleave feat to make one additional cleave attempt in a round."
Can't check it today, I think I know where I had it from... that basic game with a few miniatures and simplified core rules...

mvincent

Explorer
Darklone said:
Can't check it today, I think I know where I had it from... that basic game with a few miniatures and simplified core rules...
The two different boxed sets were both 3.5 and do not appear to cover magic items of this value (I could find nothing in either set).

Remove ads