• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleaving after an AoO

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
KarinsDad said:
You could take this point of view. But realize that when you do so, you are being a bit of a hypocrit (not intended for you personally or in a bad way, just an observation).

When players design their characters, they are almost always using metagame thinking. A 13 means that you can acquire feats that require 13, otherwise, 12 is better, etc.

When players play their characters, they are almost always using metagame thinking. My 14 hit, so I will up my Power Attack by 2 and see if it hits. That is NOT "in character" thinking, that is game mechanics thinking.

Hence, preventing metagame thinking is a very subjective thing. As DM, you really cannot do it completely or even a lot. Nor should you even try. Instead, prevent the abuse by modifying the rule (e.g. Cleaves only work on the characters turn).

My answer to your question as DM is "It is irrelevant. I consider them my enemy both because I want to and because the Wizard and I have set up this tactic that according to the rules should work".

My "in character" response "Because I can sweep my weapon through them and take my main opponent by surprise.".

The second answer here is mostly a smokescreen and basically nonsensical, but as DM, do you allow it or not? That is dependent on whether you see the tactic as abuse or not, not really whether you see this as metagaming or not. Metagaming occurs like spades in most games, regardless of any protests to the contrary.

I have to say, there's a difference betwen comparing a simple maneuver that already has a "roleplaying" description, like Power attack, to cover for the metagaming aspect of the feat with a combination of spell and feat that, apart from it's metagaming aspect, can't really be explained by a roleplaying point of view. :)

Your answer as a fighter also includes a metagame argument, namely that this tactic was prepared between him and the wizard because it "according to the rules should work." That's not really the answer I'm looking for when I'm asking why your fighter all of a sudden views allies as enemies, but hey, you gave me a second...

...which sounds more like an in-game answer to me. And yeah, as I stated before already, I'd probably let it stand...and see how often your fighter would slay celestial creatures who want to aid him to get one free swing at the bad guy, and when his alignment starts shifting. And how long it takes until some celestial might take offense at some wizard specifically abusing that summoning spell to create cannon fodder for a fighter who doesn't mind slaying his allies.

Still think I need to house rule the feat? Rule abuse only happens if the player characters alone get an unfair advantage, which usually doesn't happen anyway, because every decision goes both ways.

And of course everybody plays it their own way, there's no disagreement about that here. :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
I'd say it's exactly the opposite.

You cannot declare someone to be your enemy.

I think President Bush would disagree with you. ;)

Hypersmurf said:
You can only declare that you are their enemy.

You can declare both. It is not an either/or situation.

Hypersmurf said:
Just like you cannot decide that someone is your friend, only that you are theirs.

It is not a matter of friends. You can declare who you will consider an ally, just like who you will consider an enemy.

You are viewing this as "I hate you, therefore I am your enemy" as opposed to "I hate you, therefore you are my enemy".

Both can be declared, but the difference in game terms is that you (and your spells) have to be omnipotent in order to understand who all of your enemies are if the definition of enemy is "who wishes you harm" as opposed to "who you wish harmed".

One is easy to determine and the other is not.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
KarinsDad said:
You are viewing this as "I hate you, therefore I am your enemy" as opposed to "I hate you, therefore you are my enemy".

Absolutely.

I hate you, but it's up to you to decide if you're my enemy.

Both can be declared, but the difference in game terms is that you (and your spells) have to be omnipotent in order to understand who all of your enemies are if the definition of enemy is "who wishes you harm" as opposed to "who you wish harmed".

One is easy to determine and the other is not.

But again, Bane is an area spell - it affects creatures that fit the description even if the caster is not aware of them.

-Hyp.

Opinion only...

My 2 cents on the issues.. take them or leave them:

Bane, et al.. this is why I use aligned spells, where a Bless spell grants a bonus to any being of the correct alignment within range instead of going from the relatively vague 'enemy'/'ally'. In most cases, the benefit scales down to half for those within 1 step. This house rule also tends to assist in party cohesion, as most players want to be within 1 alignment step of the Cleric :)

Cleave and AoO.. it depends.
The way I see it working is having an intelligent opponent who are expecting thier partners to be covering thier flank.. partner draws an AoO and gets dropped.. the good guy gets to Cleave as the remaining opponent suddenly has an unexpected open flank.
However, the bad guy won't be expecting your wizards summoned creatures to cover his flank.. so downing them will not get you the Cleave on him.
Also, unintelligent beings dont expect their partner to cover for them, so no Cleave there either.

These three scenario's cover the question pretty well, IMHO. The PC still gets the advantage of the Cleave Feat while not opening any meta-gaming sillyness

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Geron Raveneye said:
If you want a discussion based on the common understanding of enemies and allies, then allow me as DM to ask a fighter who out of the blue attacks the creatures that were summoned by the wizard, who presumably is his ally, to help said figher to overcome an enemy, what reason he has to view those creatures as his enemies?

Nothing 'out of the blue' about it. Quite the opposite.

If the Cleave feat represents special techniques for fighting multiple opponents, than it is an in game fact that the Fighter is more effective in unruly crowds. Why shouldn't the Wizard give his buddy more "friends" to play with?

If you find this way of thinking about Cleave to be bizarre, you should take the argument with Scion, not me.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Cleave and AoO.. it depends.
The way I see it working is having an intelligent opponent who are expecting thier partners to be covering thier flank.. partner draws an AoO and gets dropped.. the good guy gets to Cleave as the remaining opponent suddenly has an unexpected open flank.
However, the bad guy won't be expecting your wizards summoned creatures to cover his flank.. so downing them will not get you the Cleave on him.
Also, unintelligent beings dont expect their partner to cover for them, so no Cleave there either.

All these arguments are irrelevant to D&D, because D&D has no concept of "cover his flank" in the way that you mean. In D&D terms covering a flank would mean a bonus to AC for standing near an ally.

Furthermore, a lot of the abusive examples of AoO + Cleave involve Reach. The two targets could easily be standing 15 or 25 feet apart. (Heck, they could be standing in different rooms.) What does "cover his flank" mean then?

Storyteller01

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
I could not agree less. If Cleave represents special skills for fighting multiple opponents simultaneous then setting up this situation is not metagaming. Quite the opposite.

It is if the arguement is realism.

Using real world examples, a police officer is fighting some mugger. Other officers from a K-9 unit sends in the dogs. Does the first officer attack friendly dogs to gain an AoO advantage?

japanese riot police are trained in hand-to-hand methods when dealing with mobs and multiple opponents. I've never heard of one of them attacking another officer to gain an advantage. Usually does the opposite.

If I understand correctly, the new versions were designed to promote realism. Is it realistic to attack your allies to gain an advantage (unless your evil, which has its own consequences...).

If you don't want realism, go for the kill. Just remember that the tactic is taking advantage D&D mechanics, not simulating a fighting tactic, style, or specialized training (unless killing celestial/infernal critters counts as a fighting style)..

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
I apologize ahead of time. Having trouble with the 'quote options'.

"No, it explains why AoOs might occur that could result in
multiple AoO/Cleave combos - not just by the caster's fighter ally but by the BBEG."

But the given example implied the deliberate summons by a friendly mage. Using summoned creatures to provide deliberate targets for an AoO seems like metagaming, especially if other creative options can be used (thinking beyond the numeberS) :).

I would still question why a BBEG is summoning uncontrollable creatures so close to himself, knowing the disadvantage. It's similar to calling a pack of wolves or hunting dogs to fight, then getting caught in the mob. Then I can see a fighter gaining an advantage, if he trained for mass combat. The problem here would be the DM, and hopefully they learned from it. :)

"Thats not the point - the summoned creatures aren't under the caster's complete control unless he can communicate with them in some way - and creatures with animal intelligence aren't going to avoid AoOs."

So why summon them if this is the case? Either a player is using D&D logic to gain an advantage, or the BBEG is making a big mistake. The problem still is not the mechanic, but whether it's metagaming or a huge error in judgement, especially if the BBEG knew the fighter can Cleave.

(off topic)
I'd also argue that animals don't avoid AoO's.Ever see a cat or dog fight (I just have to look outside, so no jokes about going to pit fights!!). They generally go for side or flank shot, to avoid claws/teeth. They also tend to run around each other, not getting close enough to hit unless they are also hitting (cats cover about half a block at times!!). Given the many examples of humans learning hunting tactics from observing wild animals, I'd imagine that creatures encountered in the D&D settings are no different (if they are successful enough at hunting to live to adulthood).Avoiding getting hit doesn't require training to understand, just training to improve your chances.

"Not if your summoning multiple weak creatures that are going to die in one hit regardless, and need a 20 to even hit the BBEG - seems like a pretty good use of a low level spell slot."

Not if the idea is to sacrifice them for a loophole. A better option (IMHO) would be to ajudicate some AC penalty due to the distraction, similar to the swarm effect.

"Unless they are intelligent the summoned creatures may never even get into a position to provide a flanking bonus. It is OK to sacrifice them in an attempt to get into a flanking position, but its not OK to sacrifice them to provide your great cleaving fighter ally more attacks at the BBEG at his full attack bonus (which has a better chance to hit than iterative attacks with a flanking bonus)?"

Again, this is the intent of the player. Are you using tactics, or using a loophole (hitting friendlies gives an AoO). Even if they don't get close, that's one action that doesn't focus on the players.

"How I sacrifice them should be my choice as the caster. If you think them dying in combat is a bad thing don't summon them for combat - but that seems to be the express purpose of the summoning spells, considering they immediately attack your enemies even if you can't communicate with them."

Again, this goes to the intent of the caster. Are you using the creatures as an attack, or to gain some nonsensical advantage (see the police dog example above). Aid in attacking is one thing, but bending D&D rules for an easily negated advantage in the long run (if a DM sees abuse, they plan to negate it ahead of time)is some thing else. It may also call the attention of higher powers, but that's for later...

"The intent of the caster is to stop the BBEG with the resources at hand."

Agreed. If you think outside the box (outside or around D&D rules), you have plenty of advantages. Use the terrain, pay attention to the details. I can't give anything else without knowing all the details of the conflict, but using a numbers game could not have been the only option.

"Never said they were. Disagreement with the AoO/Cleave routine has nothing to do with fair."

Sorry, I had been answering another post. The arguement had been that it was an unfair advantage to fighters (yet spellcasters can call lightning.) I think the arguement would be better worded as 'the advantage is implausable.'. I disagree, but...

"So remember to have your wizard summon a bunch of 1 hit die mooks to run past your fighter (who has Combat Reflexes and Great Cleave) so he gets the most (and smartest) use out of those feats. :)"

Again, this can be considered metagaming. Can you gain AoO for friendlies? If so, what does this say about the players? What consequenses are there for these actions? And saying that higher powers do not care for their subjects is not a valid arguement. It would be the same as kingdoms on earth. Some kings do, some kings don't. DM adjuicates what fits.

"As Ridley's Cohort said, disallowing AoO/Cleave is a reasonable patch to this loophole for those of us that find AoO/Cleaves unreasonable."

Agreed, if you find it unreasonable. Not to be totally nonconstructive, but I base my view from fights or conflicts I have personally witnessed. In these conflicts, people get far more than 4 to 5 attacks a round, and they aren't 20th level. In mass combat (simulated or not) folks get hit for actions of others around them, not nesseccarily from the sheer poower of the attack (THAT concept I would tend to argue).

"Its a heck of a lot more reasonable than disallowing Improved Crit and Keen to stack. :)"

Again, I agree. I hated that change, and several 3.5 OGL books have negated it as part of the campaign world. :)

IMHO, the AoO+cleave combo makes sense, and I believe I have seen multiple real world uses of said tactic in the past. The DM has to keep it in check

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Sorry, you are totally incorrect here.

I am the player of the Fighter.

I decide who is my enemy. The game system does not decide. The DM does not decide. My fellow players do not decide.

I do.

My fellow PC party members could become my enemies at a moments notice if I decide that.

If a DM ruled that I could not AoO the summoned mooks running past me because they are not my enemy, I would politely explain that he does not decide who my enemies are, I do.

If he did not change his ruling and continued to push such blatant stupidity into my face, I would leave the game. It is as simple as that.

I am the only one who decides the thoughts, opinions, and attempted actions of my PC (unless magic is involved or something). It is my PC, not anyone else's.

But the question remanis: Are you hitting summoned mooks because they are truely enemies (meaning to do you harm) or to gain a D&D numerical advantage?

I agree that the combatant decides enemies/targets. I would question the intent of those decisions though.

Remove ads