Cleric Domain: Cold

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
I'm creating a Cold Cleric Domain for world building purposes but I'd like some feedback on if this would work for PCs or if it should be a Villainous Option only. The deities that would grant access to this domain would be Thrym from the Nonhuman and Norse pantheons* and Auril from Forgotten Realms. I created this specifically for Kriesha in Birthright but it should work for the others.

*Anyone else notice the Norse Thrym is god of fire giants and cold instead of frost giants and cold like in the Nonhumans pantheon? I'm guessing typo but maybe I don't know my Norse mythology well enough.

New Cleric Doman: Cold
Note: Spells followed by (EEPG) are detailed in the Elemental Evil Player's guide
Darkness Domain Spells

Cleric LevelSpells
1stAbsorb Elements* (EEPG), Ice Knife (EEPG)
3rdDarkness, Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm (EEPG)
5thElemental Weapon*, Sleet Storm
7thConjure Minor Elementals**, Ice Storm
9thCone of Cold, Mislead
* Unless you gain this spell from another source, you may only select the Cold damage type.
** Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can only summon ice mephits with it.
Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the chill touch or ray of frost (pick one) cantrip if you don't already know it.
Distracting Cold
Also at 1st level, when you deal cold damage one of the targets (you choose) can’t take reactions until the end of your next turn.
Channel Divinity: Slowing Cold
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to slow your enemies. When you roll cold damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to halve the target’s speed until the end of your next turn.
Channel Divinity: Improved Distracting Cold
Starting at 6th level, when you deal cold damage, you can use your Channel Divinity as a reaction to prevent one of the creatures (you choose) from making more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn regardless of the creature’s abilities or magic items.
Cold Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with unholy energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
At 17th level, you can use your action to create an aura of cold and ice that lasts for 1 minute or until you dismiss it using another action. All light in the 30-foot radius becomes lessened with bright lights becoming dim light and dim lights becoming darkness. Your enemies in the darkness have disadvantage against any spell or weapon that deals cold damage.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Why is the cantrip Chill Touch instead of Ray of Frost? Lends itself to being less "evil" seeming. Same with the Cold Strike ability...why does it have to be "unholy energy"? Why can't they just, basically turn their weapon into a "Frost Brand" style weapon with the power of ice/cold?

Otherwise looks fine enough.

[PS: and yes, typo on Thrym for sure. Surtr/Surtur/Surtor is the fire giants guy attributed to Norse myth. Thrym/Thyr is the ice/frost giants.]

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I would definitely open this to Good-aligned clerics, and simply change the "unholy" to "divine". And like SteelDragon's said, I'm partial to making Ray of Frost the domain's cantrip, rather than Chill Touch, although that could simply be a choice the player makes when creating the character.

Gimul

Explorer
Improved Distracting Cold seems overpowered; particularly so for a level 6 class feature. I would split up the AOE distraction and the attack debuff. Make the attack debuff a channel divinity option; I think it is fine as a limited resource, but not as a always on spam without a save.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
Improved Distracting Cold seems overpowered; particularly so for a level 6 class feature. I would split up the AOE distraction and the attack debuff. Make the attack debuff a channel divinity option; I think it is fine as a limited resource, but not as a always on spam without a save.

That's a good point. I can see how that would be overpowered against solos with lair or legendary abilities. I've updated to allow a pick of cantrips and adjusted the Improved Distracting Cold to require a Channel Divinity.

the Jester

Legend
Looks pretty good, though you should probably specify an action type to activate the channel divinity options (bonus action? reaction?).

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
I had Improved Distracting Cold as a bonus action but I changed it to a reaction instead. A cleric's bonus action is used heavily for healing and I don't want to put them in the same silo. I'm not entirely sure it needs an action since the trigger is now when dealing cold damage. And since it requires a Channel Divinity usage, there's not any danger of spamming it anymore.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
A new thread was just posted for a similar Domain. I like the comparison/contrast between the two variations, as being like the differences one might find between competing religious traditions.

Here's the link:

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?484420-Cleric-Winter-Domain#ixzz46px3Y5Lk

Going with your original notion of using this for a villain, an encounter between clerics of opposing faiths might prove both enlightening and entertaining.

Remove ads