• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric Feats

Feldspar

Explorer
Eloi said:
Swap that Str and Dex: 10 Str and 15 Dex makes much more sense when you remember you can't increase your Dex with a Bull's Strength or such. Also, your Reflex save will thank you.
My apologies for saying this, but I think that's a terrible idea for a melee focused cleric. This character is better off putting the 15 in Str and wearing heavy armor. I don't think you cover a weakness (low Ref progression) by throwing a good stat at it - its like putting lipstick on a pig. Its a use of very limited resources for something you won't use as often and will never be that great at anyway. I do recommend memorizing a good protection from elements type of spell everyday though.

Also, a Str of 10 precludes him from Power Attack, Cleave, etc.

Eloi said:
I personally enjoy playing a Cleric with a lot of healing and turning, who does pass out the Bull's Strength and Bless spells when the need arises... If you don't like healing, can you at least refrain from the name-calling? No one wants to be called a "heal-bot". :)
How about "heal-bot 2000." Yeah, baby, now that has some sex appeal! :) All kidding aside, I wasn't calling *you* a heal-bot, but rather how I'd feel in that role. I have great respect for people who genuinely enjoy playing in a support role; your kind are welcomed in gaming groups world wide. *I* on the other hand am a little more *selfish* than that; I hate it when other players tell me what spells I should memorize and cast on them. But I am consistent which is a good thing. In our last session I told our Dwarf cleric (who I think has the Strength and War domains) that if he, or his character, have any desire to use those spells on themselves or wade into combat for the glory of Moradin then he should.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm currently building a "Confused Paladin of St. Cuthbert" for an AoW game. NG.

Going Bbn1/ClrX ... Domains: Destruction, Strength

Taking:

1st: Power Attack, Extra Rage
3rd: Divine Vigor
6th: Extra Smite
9th: Cleave
12th: Sacred Boost (because just about every class can use a CLX wand)
15th: Extra Turning
18th: Not Sure

You end up with Rage 3x/Day and Smite 3x/Day ... Vigor increases your speed to 50 and adds MORE HP ... you have almost full Cleric casting progression and a great ability to beat the SNOT out of people for 3 combats a day (Rage + Vigor makes for alot of HP and good mobility in Mithril Breastplate + X, go Smite on anybody big and hairy). Cleave keeps the loving going on, Power Attack is just a no-brainer as you're artificially pumping your attack bonus anyway.

Alternately I'm thinking of going for Three Mountains Style, as Greatclub is very St. Cuthbert.

1st: Power Attack, Extra Rage
3rd: Cleave
6th: Extra Smite
9th: Weap. Focus (Greatclub)
12th: Imp. Bull Rush
15th: Three Mountains Style (pump that DC with Strength domain power smite!)
18th: Great Cleave
18th: Extra Turning

Shadowbane

First Post
Thanee said:
If that's your 3rd level feat, then you don't qualify for it (BAB).

I wouldn't take that... unless it's needed as a prerequisite for something.

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, I'm moving Improved Critical up a few places, but yes I do need great cleave as a pre-requisite. (Epic Stuff)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Quicken Spell is pretty useful for a melee cleric. Being able to cast a quickened Divine Favor as you wade into combat is a great tactic.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Mistwell said:
Quicken Spell is pretty useful for a melee cleric. Being able to cast a quickened Divine Favor as you wade into combat is a great tactic.
This is very, very true. I have a paladin with access to cleric spellcasting who swears by this tactic. It means your choices go from no-buff / one-buff (sacrificing a round) to one-buff/two-buffs (sacrificing a round). I love it. :)
Infiniti2000 said:
As noted in this thread, that should be while casting on the defensive. It's an important distinction because it means that if you can auto-succeed on casting on the defensive, you should always do it if you have combat casting because then you'll always get +4 on all Con. checks. This is better than +3. If you disagree, feel free to rebut me in the other thread.
Infiniti, you're the only one proposing such an interpretation in that thread! :p Most of the other posters agree that it isn't meant to be ruled that way, even if it is an attractive House Rule.

Spatula

Explorer
Shadowbane said:
Final List:

1. Weapon Focus (Mace), Combat Casting
2. Improved Critical (Mace)
Can't take WF at 1st level due to BAB requirements. Improved Crit isn't available until much later for the same reason.

Spatula

Explorer
Nail said:
But only for PCs that can pump out high damage hits, and only if there are other low-level mooks around that can be K.O.ed with one hit.

IMO, Cleave is good for 2-hd weapon weilding barbarians....and not much else.....especially if your PC has other areas of expertise (like a cleric).
My melee cleric gets plenty of mileage out of both power attack and cleave. Granted he has a level of fighter and uses a spellstoring greataxe...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads