• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric Feats

Shadowbane

First Post
I've got exactly 24 hours to get an answer... In order from level 1-20 what do you think are the best feats for a human cleric of St. Cuthbert?

Last edited:

Eloi

First Post
You're getting eight feats, two at first level (the Human bonus one + the one everyone gets), and one at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18.

Dodge and Mobility are good if you have 13 or more Dexterity, as they will keep you from being swatted as you move in to heal. Lightning Reflexes will help shore up the notoriously poor Clerical Reflex save. Combat Casting and Combat Expertise are going to greatly aid your ability to pass out healing without getting chopped up. And that's 5.

Extend Spell and Sudden Maximize Spelll are two good metamagic Feats, but if you feel like being the full combat cleric of St. Cuthbert, you'll probably prefer going Power Attack - Cleave - Great Cleave for your last three feats instead. Otherwise Extend Spell and Sudden Maximize, plus either a Craft feat or Maximize itself.

Good hunting.

Thanee

First Post
Do you start at 1st level or at high level (your last thread implied the latter, but I'm not sure)?

Bye
Thanee

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
All I can tell you is the ones I took, which have done me no harm so far... I'm playing a Cleric / Radian Servant of Pelor, just for the cheezy uber-healing. I'm a healing cleric, straight down the line, with a side order of Blade Barrier.

In no particular order:

Augment Healing (increasing the effect of all Cure spells)
Divine Spell Power (just to give a bit of a punch)
Domain Spontenaity (Healing) - to give instant Heal spells and to stack with the RSoP's powers.
Divine Metamagic (Quicken Spell; Reach Spell)
Extra Turning (x2)

The entire build is based on an ability to use my turning attempts for something other than turning - powering spells. I did think about Glorious Weapons, but the magic enhancements and spells to do the same thing are all dirt cheap.

What do you want your cleric to do. Buff and fight? Cure? Blast? Scry? You'd be looking at a different feat selection for each version.

Thanee

First Post
Here's something for a human cleric of St.Cuthbert:

1st Power Attack, Cleave
3rd Domain Spontanity (Strength)
6th Divine Spell Power
9th Quicken Spell
12th Extend Spell
15th Reach Spell
18th Improved Initiative ;)

Bye
Thanee

Shadowbane

First Post
Eccles said:
What do you want your cleric to do. Buff and fight? Cure? Blast? Scry? You'd be looking at a different feat selection for each version.

Very much a spellcaster who casts spells very similar to his domains (Destruction, Protection)
Possibly some melee, but that cirtaintly isn't the first priority.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you want to use an extremely powerful exploit (that I expect WOTC to fix soon), take Divine Metamagic with Persistant Spell (you will need extend spell for it), and stack on some extra turning feats and maybe a Nightstick or two (item from Libris Mortis that gives you extra turning attempts).

Now use turning attempts to make Divine Power and Divine Favor and Righteous Might etc... persistant and last 24 hours every day.

I personally do not like this trick, as it lets you cast a metamagiced spell of a level that you cannot actually cast if you didn't have divine metamagic. But, it does work by the Rules As Written, and will make you very powerful.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Shadowbane said:
Very much a spellcaster who casts spells very similar to his domains (Destruction, Protection)
Possibly some melee, but that cirtaintly isn't the first priority.

In which case, Divine Spell Power (you can use a turning attempt to heighten the caster level of your spell to make your blasts more powerful).

Divine Metamagic (Quicken) to let you rip off a second spell in a tight corner (probably not more than once a day), or else the Quicken metamagic feat.

Divine Sponteneity for one or both of your domains, so with 1 turn attempt, you can drop a prepared spell for one of your domains - really upping your ability to focus on your domains without worrying about preparing a blast-focussed spell list.

Extra Smite, or something, just to let you hit things...

Combat Casting if you intend to get into the thick of it, but I would suggest you left that to the melee people.

Spell Penetration and the Advanced one can be a godsend at higher levels, when you're trying to blast foes who have Spell Resistance. Stacked with Divine Spell power means your caster level would be 4-8 levels higher for the purposes of breaching SR.

Any metamagic feats; particularly Empower. Or Maximise. Always a favourite for the blast caster.

Domain Focus to add one to the caster Level of your favourite Domain. Damaging people is all about making it as high as possible!

That should be enough to be going on with.

Thanee

First Post
Eccles said:
Divine Metamagic (Quicken) to let you rip off a second spell in a tight corner (probably not more than once a day), or else the Quicken metamagic feat.

There is no 'or else', you need Quicken Spell in order to learn Divine Metamagic (Quicken), so you would rather have 'or else *just* the Quicken metamagic feat'. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads