• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric Feats

Thanee

First Post
His cleric wasn't particulary strong (and I don't think he really had fun playing him (hey it was his choice, noone cept himself can be blamed for that)), but I still think he was only kidding... somewhat. ;)

It was more like 'doesn't know what he really wants'. He has his third character now in the campaign... first was a Mystic Theurge at the lower levels, who technically commited suicide by 'forgetting' to dismiss the Shield Other spell in time, then the cleric during the mid levels, and now (14th) he has a dwarven fighter/rogue with TWF.

Bye
Thanee

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
Divine Spell Power is a great choice.......

For my money, nothing beats a 1st level feat like Improved Initiative. It works with any build and is extremely useful at high levels, when going first counts the most.

Shadowbane

First Post
Eloi said:
Please remember that a Cleric of St. Cuthbert has a lot in common with a Cleric of a War deity, since he gets that nasty Destruction domain.

There are better results to be had, on the main, staying out of melee and relying on the magics the Cleric can wield to perform key acts of replenishment and area denial. You specifically mentioned St. Cuthbert, so I observed the Power Attack- Cleave - Great Cleave trio. Clerics of St. Cuthbert tend to heavily improve themselves with spells and then wade in to combat, where they are holy terrors until the spells wear off.

Some players (with excellent reason) feel that Clerics that have so many combat-enhancing feats and spells that tie into them tend to become hammers, and all problems tend to begin to look vaguely like a nail..

I'd ask that you not intentionally displace the party's Fighter or Barbarian from the spotlight - the Cleric of St. Cuthbert makes for a swell "the party is almost dead, when suddenly the NPC Cleric of St. Cuthbert makes an appearance, distracting all the demons and giving you a chance for some quick heals" party saver.

There are a lot of neat spells that exist to let the Cleric do something other than heal, heal, cure, turn, heal. The Cleric class is more powerful than others, to entice people to play a healer (a dull and thankless task in many groups), and even so, many parties have to struggle along with a Ranger's or Druid's Wand of Cure Light Wounds because no one wants to play the Cleric that the group needs. In extremis, the Cleric can turn into an amazing engine of destruction, but this only really comes into play if the party's front line has fallen, and it's needful to beat down/scare off the foes while the party regroups. Most GMs would really prefer to leave that potential untapped.

If this is a one-off, which lets you revel in the power of an amazing Destruction-focused Cleric, great. For longer term fun, I suggest Pelor for Healing and the Sun domains.. and don't feel like Strength is the number 1 priority. :)

Nothing wrong with being a really good healer. Nothing at all. :)

This ios for the combat cleric:

Would it be smart to first take a spellcasting skill enhancer (like Combat Casting or Skill Focus) and then dive into combat feats, or just start at Weapon Focus, improve critical, and the power attack feats from the beginning?

And for that matter, would it makes sense to make my highest stat (18) go to strength and my other stat (15) go to wisdom? (all later skill points would go tho wisdom)

Last edited:

Shadowbane

First Post
Final List:

1. Weapon Focus (Mace), Combat Casting
2. Improved Critical (Mace)
3. Power Attack
4. Cleave
5. Great Cleave
6. Extend Spell
7. Quicken Spell

Stats Are:

Str. 15
Dex. 10
Con. 16
Int. 12
Wis. 18
Chr. 14

Last edited:

Eloi

First Post
A few modifications: Swap out Improved Critical (mace) for Extend Spell, and then the later Extend Spell with Sudden Maximize Spell.

Swap that Str and Dex: 10 Str and 15 Dex makes much more sense when you remember you can't increase your Dex with a Bull's Strength or such. Also, your Reflex save will thank you.

In a pinch, you will someday have the spells to outperform the Fighter in combat - but those same spells are usually better employed keeping the party on their feet.

I personally enjoy playing a Cleric with a lot of healing and turning, who does pass out the Bull's Strength and Bless spells when the need arises... and goes out and flanks when occasion permits. I doubt the enemies shiver in their boots when I do my big 1d6 with my quarterstaff, but the flanking makes a big difference to the Rogue, and the charging Barbarian.

If you don't like healing, can you at least refrain from the name-calling? No one wants to be called a "heal-bot". :)

Shadowbane

First Post
I can sum up my combat feat choices in four words: "Epic Devastating Critical Feat". The whole concept of spells coupled with the practice of smashing a mace into someones face struck me as rather appropriate for a Cleric of St. Cuthbert. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads