D&D (2024) Cleric Playtest Summary

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Channel divinity doesn't require undead to be used. Turn Undead requires Undead - but you also get Divine Spark. You also get a third Channel Divinity option from your domain as your level 6 subclass feature (in the Life Cleric's case Preserve Life) so your major channel divinity option is tied to your god/purpose in the form of your domain.
Every DM is going to include undead so the cleric can shine. And level 6 is a long way off. Like I said, I understand, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I understand the design decision.... But I hate that channel divinity requires undead be used. I wish, and again, I understand why it isn't, that channel divinity was much more tied to your god or purpose, with like ten options.

I like most of the changes here, actually
It's possible that other domains will allow you to turn things other than undead.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I understand the design decision.... But I hate that channel divinity requires undead be used. I wish, and again, I understand why it isn't, that channel divinity was much more tied to your god or purpose, with like ten options.

I like most of the changes here, actually
That was how the 2014 playtest worked: you had a somewhat long list of CD, you got to choose 2 and one was gifted by the domain. So you could mix and match options to represent more closely your faith's powers ( or powergame it and take all the best ones, I guess).

I have another issue with the holy order.
In the Scholar option, I think it needs to be clarified, which skills receive the wisdom bonus, all skills on the list or only those 2 selected by the feature. And what hapens if you already know all the skills.

The big issue is: if you are a scholar, you might already know religion. But it is likely that you want your wisdom bonus added to religion. You surely don't want to hold off religion until second level to not waste the wisdom bonus. Seems like a similar problem as with the scout rogue. I really hate that.
The holy order should really go down to level 1.

I'd be interested to know if people think Divine Spark will create a new 1 level dip issue, given that its effect and number of uses are both proficiency bonus based?
The damage? Nah. Even at its highest it's only 6d8 vs the 4d10 of firebolt.

The heal? The big thing about it is it takes your action; it's better than Cure Wounds because it has range. But Healing Word's far better in combat because it does enough to bring people back onto their feet and let you either cast a cantrip or make your normal attack - and you can get that from Magic Initiate. Which means it's mostly useful as an out of combat feature.

Can I imagine >6 barbarians or >11 fighters taking it if their higher levels aren't significantly improved? Yes, definitely. Having panic buttons is a good thing and higher level fighter and barbarian levels ... mostly aren't worth much. But do I think spending your action to heal an average of 27hp at 17th level is a big issue a few times per day? No. Especially as you should have out of combat healing items way before that.

And at low level I can't think of any class it's remotely worth giving up a level before level 5.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I know we can't see the paladin but...

I rolled up the cleric sister of the paladin in a real game PC for a playtest. Well...

Samuel Crushwell the 7th (Paladin 3)

Cantrips: 3
Slots: 3 1st level Slots
Smites: 3 Divine Smites (2d8 radiant)
Healing: Lay on Hands for 15 HP
Armor: Heavy
Weapons: Martial
Other: Divine Sense, Divine Health, Divine Smite, Fighting Style, Subclass

Samantha Crushwell the 6th (Cleric3)

Cantrips: 3
Spellcasting: 4 1st level Slots 2 2nd level Slots
"Smites": 4 Thunderous Smites (2d6 thunder) 2 Branding Smites (2d6 radiant)
Healing: Divine 2 Spark for 4d8 (18) HP
Armor: Heavy (Protector)
Weapons: Martial (Protector)
Other: Subclass, Turn Undead

Either Paladin needs a buff (lol), some lateral versatility, or the Smite spells need to be cut from Cleric. It's too close/

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Someone actually used Cure Wounds rather than Healing Word?
Why would anyone rather take the version that enables good narratives and makes in combat healing interesting instead of the easy version that enables degenerate combat loops?/s

Remove ads