D&D 5E Cleric spells that don't suck

eprieur

Explorer
One of the problem with the healing bot and healing in general is the fact that most of the times it seem that direct healing like cure light wound is simply better.

Cure light wound work and does exactly what it is supposed to do. But take shield of faith, a spell that give you +1 ac. +1 ac is in theory decent, but it's also a gamble. What if the monster all miss me by 2 or more? What if the dm don't even attack the target of spell for whatever reason? What if the wizard decide to fireball the room and kill all the goblins in 1 round? I've juste wasted my spell.

The problem between cure light wound and shield of faith is one of power level versus the fact they both take 1 daily slot. I argue that shield of faith is too weak. Here is a version that would have you ask twice between casting this and cure light wound at least:

-Shield of faith. After you or an ally take damage use your reaction to give resistance to that damage for that attack (half damage). The target also get +1 ac for 1 minute or until your concentration is broken.

If it scale too well you can use fixed value (1D6 + X), etc.

Another line of spell could be buffs that have an active component. We will randomly call them seals, you can have only 1 seal active at a time:

-Divine Favor (seal). You gain +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with weapons attacks. When you hit a target with a weapon attack you can release the seal to deal an additionnal 1D6 holy damage to the target. (This destroys the seal).

What I like about these versions? They have an active component. In the case of shield of faith you can react to incoming damage instead of simply healing it and you also give buffs that help prevent further damage.

There could be more example, but let's stay with these 2 for now.

What do you guys think?

Remove ads