• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Climbing a tower rules 5e

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
5e in my opinion IS too simplistic, and that's just from the DM side. I never make PCs and don't care, that's a whole side of the game I rarely touch, although I do think it needs revamping and more important choices per level.
For me, 5e is pretty close to the perfect balance of depth and complexity on the DM side (I would be willing to accept a little more complexity if it came with a commensurate increase in depth, but I’m pretty close to the outer limit of my tolerance there). But on the player side I think the depth is sorely lacking and the complexity is poorly budgeted. If I could get the player-side crunch of like 4e Essentials or Pathfinder 2e, with the DM-side usability of 5e, that would be my dream edition.

Nebulous

Legend
For me, 5e is pretty close to the perfect balance of depth and complexity on the DM side (I would be willing to accept a little more complexity if it came with a commensurate increase in depth, but I’m pretty close to the outer limit of my tolerance there). But on the player side I think the depth is sorely lacking and the complexity is poorly budgeted. If I could get the player-side crunch of like 4e Essentials or Pathfinder 2e, with the DM-side usability of 5e, that would be my dream edition.
That would be a good balance. I get why they did what they did, it's easy to add new players or reintroduce old players, but 5e PC options kind of suck if you play the game a few years. Not SUCK. The game works perfectly, but your options are limited as far as diversity.

Nebulous

Legend
For what it's worth guys and gals, 5e might be the easiest edition of them all to hack. If you don't like a little rule, then tweak it. I do think that comes under the assumption of DMs who played D&D 40 years though and the backlog of experience. I don't think there's a whole lot of NEW DM's on Enworld fresh to 5e. Sure, there's a few, but it's mostly older players. And I am very curious how new DMs respond to threads like this one where very basic mechanical questions are brought up!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For what it's worth guys and gals, 5e might be the easiest edition of them all to hack. If you don't like a little rule, then tweak it. I do think that comes under the assumption of DMs who played D&D 40 years though and the backlog of experience. I don't think there's a whole lot of NEW DM's on Enworld fresh to 5e. Sure, there's a few, but it's mostly older players. And I am very curious how new DMs respond to threads like this one where very basic mechanical questions are brought up!
I'm a "new" DM. Kind of. I did DM a little 4e, but very little, and I mostly didn't know what I was doing.

JimmyG

Villager
I found reading the thread interesting.

I know it isn't rules or whatever but I think unless you have a speed like climb or swim and you attempt them you should make a check. The DC can be super low so maybe just a lack of progress?

But I get how 5E is about keeping the rolls only for when you need them. I don't know, we're still figuring it all out.

Nebulous

Legend
If there are actual TEENAGERS on Enworld reading this stuff! Good lord. They're missing 40 years of D&D backstory and history and rules arguments! :)

Remove ads