D&D 5E Climbing a tower rules 5e

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
There should be some significance to distance.

I can swim across a 20 foot pool and back. I could not even begin to contemplate actually swimming even a mile (or half, etc).
If a PC is trying to push past his or her normal limits and the outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure, the DM may call for a Constitution check.

Gaining any distance in rough water or areas of thick seaweed or while another creature interfering with your swimming may call for a Strength (Athletics) check, again, if the outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If a PC is trying to push past his or her normal limits and the outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure, the DM may call for a Constitution check.

Gaining any distance in rough water or areas of thick seaweed or while another creature interfering with your swimming may call for a Strength (Athletics) check, again, if the outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure.
No rough water...my example is a pool. With swimming as movement I should be able to swim for miles.

Now, I'm not gonna worry about this, if we look at many examples in D&D we find inconsistencies. (lets debate hp anyone?)

My opinion remains; there may be times while climbing or swimming that a check may be called for, it might be STR, it might be based on distance, but not always and not every time.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I was trying to be humorous. It is true that you aren’t a D&D character though.
No I'm not. Sadly...any portals around here anywhere?

(too out of shape after retiring..just got my run without stopping distance back up to 4 miles, my max used to be a little under 7.)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No rough water...my example is a pool. With swimming as movement I should be able to swim for miles.

Now, I'm not gonna worry about this, if we look at many examples in D&D we find inconsistencies. (lets debate hp anyone?)

My opinion remains; there may be times while climbing or swimming that a check may be called for, it might be STR, it might be based on distance, but not always and not every time.
Sure. You won't catch me calling for a Strength (Athletics) check for swimming a long distance though.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Sure. You won't catch me calling for a Strength (Athletics) check for swimming a long distance though.
Well I do find that stronger people can climb farther than weaker ones, as demonstrated by assaulting up the side of buildings and rappelling etc.

But I see you point about CON, seems valid also.

Remove ads