• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CLOSED] [Re-Recruiting] [D&D 3.5] Need more players for War of the Burning Sky

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Not sure I see the legal issue if it's a free download to begin with, but is there anything particularly "rogue-y" that would be important to know?

hmmm ... the game starts in Gate Pass. You should be able to get a feel for the city a little bit by reading the IC thread. Gate Pass has a Thieves' Guild:

Thieves’ Guild
Everyone knows that thieves operate in the city, often with the aid of bribed councilmen who turn blind eyes. The thieves tend to prey on wealthy merchants, especially foreigners, and so many commoners view them favorably.

One particularly well-known rogue is a dashing scoundrel named Rantle. He came to fame because of an elaborate confidence game to steal from a female merchant. One night when his scam was near fruition, he was with the merchant when she was attacked by a trio of common thugs who intended to have their way with the woman. Rantle fought them off, then stayed around to protect her while the city guard arrived, even though he knew he would be recognized and arrested. Public support for his heroism got him pardoned, and many people have begun calling for him to join the city council.

Of course, the merchants of the city still don’t like being victimized. It is said the clientele of One-to-Go, a tavern in one of Gate Pass’s slums, is composed entirely of former thieves who have lost a hand as punishment for stealing.

If you're affiliated with the Thieves' Guild you get the feat Thieves' Guild Sympathizer:

Thieves’ Guild Sympathizer [Gate Pass]
You have had dealings with the Gate Pass thieves’ guild, and you suspect they might owe you a favor, though you know it might not be safe to push your luck.
Benefit: You gain Bluff as bonus class skill. Additionally, your experience with being a lookout grants you an ability to alert your allies just before danger strikes. If you are not surprised at the start of an encounter, your allies receive a second Listen or Spot check to avoid being surprised.
Special: You gain this feat as a bonus feat if your character begins at 1st level affiliated with the Gate Pass thieves’ guild.

Theroc

First Post
hmmm ... the game starts in Gate Pass. You should be able to get a feel for the city a little bit by reading the IC thread. Gate Pass has a Thieves' Guild:

If you're affiliated with the Thieves' Guild you get the feat Thieves' Guild Sympathizer:

Cool. Does that bonus skill apply regardless of any multiclassing, if I do any?

I haven't decided completely on the full progression for my rogue yet. Still feeling crappy on and off. Though I'm wondering if my character could actually be PART of the Thieves guild, or if he'd just be loosely associated with it.

Rhun

First Post
I'm not gunning for Radiant Servant exactly. I don't have any long-term vision for the character beyond obsessive focus on healing spells and effects, which is really more of a pure exercise in rules knowledge than any attempt to actually create an overpowering character- healbot is a distinctly suboptimal role for a cleric at low levels, and a wildly suboptimal one at mid or high levels. It would be both thematically and mechanically appropriate for the character, but it won't break my heart if I can't have it.

I have to weigh in here and say that the cleric is NEVER sub-optimal, unless you are playing with all powergamers. As one of the most powerful classes in the game, even a cleric built mainly to heal can contribute many other ways. As someone currently playing at least two cleric designated "healers," they still end contributing a ton to actual combat and in out-of-combat situations.

Rhun

First Post
Not sure I see the legal issue if it's a free download to begin with, but is there anything particularly "rogue-y" that would be important to know?

Even though it is a free download, it is still a breach of copyright to just repost the info.

Theroc

First Post
Even though it is a free download, it is still a breach of copyright to just repost the info.

Weird, but okay.

I'll try to get my rogue up tomorrow, will doublecheck the creation rules and such and work on getting that cranked out.

Rhun

First Post
Weird, but okay.

It is the same with pretty much all downloads. Everytime you download something or sign up for free service, there is a "use" policy that by clicking OK you are agreeing to. Most of these include things like not redistributing. Extremely common, and not weird at all.

Theroc

First Post
It is the same with pretty much all downloads. Everytime you download something or sign up for free service, there is a "use" policy that by clicking OK you are agreeing to. Most of these include things like not redistributing. Extremely common, and not weird at all.

I think it's weird that it matters whether it's redistributed as long as the proper group is given credit each time, since there's no money changing hands at all.

But then again, *I* am weird... so maybe everyone else feels it's normal... I think it's weird.

renau1g

First Post
I'm no lawyer (and am required to stay out of legal matters in my profession), but even giving credit usually isn't enough without the express written consent (at least at the end of NFL broadcasts they say that ;))

Theroc

First Post
Pneumatik, when my dad gets up today(he has a whacky sleeping schedule due to his treatments) in a few hours, I'm going to ask him to check over the WotBSPG and see if he'll allow me to download it.

If he says no, I'll setup a character sheet without it, and play without it. If he says yes, I'll download it, look it over and try to work my character's background more effectively into the scenario.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads