[CLOSED] [Re-Recruiting] [D&D 3.5] Need more players for War of the Burning Sky

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I'm in the process of running the War of the Burning Sky (WotBS). I'm planning on running the whole campaign, but right now we're about halfway through the first adventure. We started with six or seven players but are now down to three. I'd like to add two more players to the group.

Right now we have two book-of-nine-swords characters (a crusader and a swordsage) and a fire domain wizard (from unearthed arcana and in the SRD). There's also an NPC cleric in the party who's written directly into the mod (i.e. all else being equal, I'd rather not run a DMPC).

The rules for character creation are at the start of the OOC thread for the game, [D&D 3.5] War of the Burning Sky
OOC: [Closed]
OOC: . Follow those rules except you start at 3rd level (the current party is about to level). Post questions and apps to this thread. If you want to read the game so far, the IC thread is pneumatik's WotBS 1 - The Scouring of Gate Pass.

Preference will be given to players who read and follow the character creation rules and who have a history of sticking with PbP games. Assuming more than two people apply, of course.

Last edited:

Toptomcat

First Post
Is the crusader more support-y and healy, or more tank-y and attack-y? Likewise, what role does the NPC cleric fill? I have a few ideas for clerics, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, or be redundant with the module-cleric.

Rhun

First Post
Is the crusader more support-y and healy, or more tank-y and attack-y? Likewise, what role does the NPC cleric fill? I have a few ideas for clerics, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, or be redundant with the module-cleric.

The Crusader is a tank. Very limited healing if any.

In my opinion, we need a PC cleric, and probably a skill monkey.

renau1g

First Post
Yeah, my PC is a Swordsage, can cover off some of the skills, but not really well. He's more a mobile fighter...

Oh I can't wait to level.

Toptomcat

First Post
All right. You mention in the first recruiting thread that the War of the Burning Sky player's guide is free, but a cursory search revealed only pay sources: can you provide a link?
Edit: Never mind, found it.

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
As of this post you can still get the War of the Burning Sky Player's Guide (WotBSPG) for free at EN World D&D / RPG News: The world's premier fan community for Dungeons & Dragons news and more! on the left side of the page. Even though the page is mainly talking about the 4E version of the campaign the WotBSPG is still the 3.5 version.

I agree with Rhun. The party has plenty of tanking (the NPC cleric's combat plan is usually to protect the squishy casters), so a healing and casting cleric would be great. Hollister is mainly a blasty wizard (so far, anyway), so he kinda has the ranged attack niche filled. The party is also short a skill-monkey, but I find that's the easiest niche to go without. I haven't read the whole campaign yet, though, so I don't know how much that's true for what I'm running.

Thanee

First Post
Hey! :D

I would actually like to try out the WotBS (might run it myself at some point in the faaaaar future, when the 4E version is completed and available in print ;)).

I'm definitely a player who is sticking to the games (Rhun and renau1g should know that well enough :)).

Of course, everyone has periods of inactivity in that regard, and I am certainly no exception there... for example, I'm going on vacation this weekend (but only for one week).

As for a character, there are certainly plenty options around.

Since Toptomcat seems to be covering the need for a healer-type, how about one of these?

For example, I could play an eventually-to-be Arcane Trickster (Grey Elf Spellthief 1 / Wizard 5 / Unseen Seer 1 / Arcane Trickster X -- posting that mostly for you to decide whether that progression would be alright). That one could cover some of the skills (though the skill prerequisites for that class progression is extremely demanding) and offer some utility magic.

I could also try my hand at one of the psionic classes (like a Telepath or Wilder).

Bye
Thanee

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, the crusader is more of a tank than anything else; Liiros has very minor mid-combat healing through Martial Spirit and Crusader's Strike, but that's rare and no better than a Cure Light Wounds; he hasn't even had a chance to use it so far, as he's had trouble getting into melee to hit anything with it. Crusaders can only heal HP damage, anyway, and only by hitting enemies with the right maneuver/stance.

We're kinda low on ranged combat ability (though Hollister's good at burning stuff from a distance), lack many skills (though Korrin's sneaky and Liiros is kinda talky), and have no divine magic besides that NPC (Liiros' maneuvers don't count...). We don't have anyone wilderness-savvy or anyone especially good in social situations, and AFAIK we're rather chaos-aligned (.....but chaos has more fun!). :p

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Thanee: Your build is fine. I'm away from books right now, but I think you can get more sneak-attack and still not lose any spellcaster progression by taking more Unseen Seer (or something like that).

Remove ads