Closest Call In A TTRPG?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I was DM'ing Tiamat and in Arauthator's lair I had half the PCs making Death Saves after Round Three ... then the Bard remembered her Staff of Healing, popped the top-end power, and emitted so many healing HP that all eight or so PCs were back to max - and I could have full-healed Arauthator too and had a few HP left over ! (But I didn't, and they killed him before the end of Round Eight.)

Singular 'turn around the fight' moment.

Oof! When I ran Arauthator's lair, it was also a brutal fight. The PCs won it by the skin of their teeth, though Arauthator managed to flee to live another day.

I was DM'ing Tiamat and in Arauthator's lair I had half the PCs making Death Saves after Round Three ... then the Bard remembered her Staff of Healing, popped the top-end power, and emitted so many healing HP that all eight or so PCs were back to max - and I could have full-healed Arauthator too and had a few HP left over ! (But I didn't, and they killed him before the end of Round Eight.)

Singular 'turn around the fight' moment.

Shiroiken

Legend
Oddly, the most notable close call I've had was in our current D&D 5E campaign, BG:DiA. Most close calls I can think of were the other way ("we almost succeeded"). Anyway, at level 3, during our 7th encounter of the day (with no short rest) we almost had a TPK against a necromancer (I think). Everyone dropped to 0 at one point, with my Dwarf Cleric the Earth Genasi Barbarian each rolling a 20 twice during the combat. At the end of the combat, we had a combined 3 HP between the two of us, with the other 4 PCs unconscious. We had to drag them back to our safehouse, and sadly had to give up most of our treasure to muggers who preyed upon our weakness.

ccs

41st lv DM
Closest call as a player had to be in the opening sequence of CoS.
My 1/2ling Warlock
1/2orc barbarian
human Fighter
Dwarf cleric
and a winged tiefling - who'd just joined that evening.
We were in the basement of the Death House fighting the plant monster. Each round at least one of the other 4 would get knocked to 0 HP on the monsters turn. Then the round would reset & my 1/2ling would run up just outside the things reach via expeditious retreat, roll a medicine check to stabilize them, roll a natural 20 restoring them to 1 HP, & run off to the next victim. I did this 4 or 5 times in a row.
Eventually the Weeble Wobble routine paid off & the others were able whittle the thing down.
But if not for that string of 20s....

Remove ads