D&D 5E Cloud kingdoms....brainstorming

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok, so if you want realism?

1: Why are there clouds at all? Where does the water (to generate enough water vapor to form clouds) comes from?

2: If it rains, where does the water go?

3: food concern are definitely an issue, depending on how big the floating islands are.
My idea is for normal rain and clouds...except the some clouds can get colonised by airborne cloud mycelium that can make gigantic colonies within clouds and solidify them. Agree food is the thing...I'm guessing there are flying insects that feed on the mushrooms and then are eaten by aerial critters...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My idea is for normal rain and clouds...except the some clouds can get colonised by airborne cloud mycelium that can make gigantic colonies within clouds and solidify them. Agree food is the thing...I'm guessing there are flying insects that feed on the mushrooms and then are eaten by aerial critters...
Mycellium is the fibres of fungus colonies, and is mostly edible so if its mycellium solidifying those vapour clouds into solids then you may as well eat the cloud itself - big fluffy mouthfuls of mushy goodness, topped with stardust, and sprinkles.

You’ll definitely have to include a scene where the PCs come across a cloud mining operation where entire chunks of cloud are being carefully, cut, loaded and transported to market

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Actually, a super important question:

What is underneath? "normal D&D-land?" That matters a lot :)

Richards

Legend
That's a thought: are there permanent "tunnels" in some of the larger cloud islands, such that there could be an entire "dungeon level" or two up there?

Johnathan

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
That's a thought: are there permanent "tunnels" in some of the larger cloud islands, such that there could be an entire "dungeon level" or two up there?

Johnathan
tunnels excavated by fungal mycelium-eating larvae for instance. The adults are some sort of flying insect

Remove ads