Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

PJSlavner

Explorer
(a) would be my guess, but Gansk has pointed out to me that (b) would have two alignment steps differential in each arena, instead of the three and one alignment step differentials in (a). The question is what takes precedence: The biggest difference between two alignments or the most even distribution.

I would have guessed that LE would have fewer monsters remaining than NE.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I thought LE had a ton more monsters?

Maybe the alignment (LE or NE) with fewer monsters should go up against CN. That should help to even things out for the finale. You know what I'd like to see, though, is the lists of monsters for the semi-finals and then we can place (virtual) bets. It also might get some people from the other forums interested again.

One thing I was thinking about, though. It would suck for us to spend almost two years on this and then have someone new step in and take control of one of the FFA alignments (while say Evilhalfling and I sit out the finale). Maybe we could all attach ourselves to an alignment and join in on a limited FFA. I guess Komodo is too busy, so that makes 4 of us (plus two mods). PJSlavner has already (currently) decided to sit out the semifinals, so once the Good alignments are gone, that will leave Evilhalfling and Greybar stranded. Let's assume they choose CE and NE and then for the finals, that will leave myself and another stranded. We should then team-up against the other two. Komodo, if he sticks around for more than just the ToC (which is fine, too), can resume control of NE and at worst it would be a 3-on-2 FFA in the finals.

Any thoughts on this?

Gansk

Explorer
Right now LE has 71 monsters, NE has 63 monsters, and CE has 54 monsters.

All of the suggestions seem fine to me. The only one with which I have a mild objection is matching up the semifinals based on pure numbers. The CR disparity factor seems to be a numbers equalizer. In fact, right now I would not count CG or NG out of it at this point. They are killing mooks at fantastic pace, good enough to win if they can keep it up. Of course the trend should slow down as the CR disparity narrows, which keeps the good alignments as underdogs. But in the words of Chris Berman, "That's why they play the game."

ugulu

First Post
Having a way to keep everyone involved seems like a very good idea - either alternating running a goon, or alternating rounds once it's really narrowed down. Having someone else have input on a CR18 goon with 96 different abilities will probably provide better tactics (or group think :) ).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I think teaming up and alternating is a good idea, perhaps alternating monsters?

I think some consideration of numbers be used for the final battles, but lets see how it breaks down. While the numbers are a considerable advantage, equal battles are more fun than mook killing.

btw: gone until sunday - feel free to FFA Aborea.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Guys, I can't find the modified hover rules that we're using for dragons since it was lost in the crash. Can someone repost it?

Thanks!

Gansk

Explorer
I can't seem to find the original wording through Google, but based on what I've observed, you seem to have a handle on it. While hovering, any movement requires an MEA to gather momentum first. The end result is that a round is either spent entirely moving or standing still performing standard or full round actions. The only way to combine a move and a standard action in the same round is to spend a momentum MEA in the previous round. Snapping out of hover mode to fly normally is a free action.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Note that you can only hover in a single direction. Hovering up and then over would require two rounds (gather momentum in each direction plus the movement in that direction). This is IMO the hardest of hovering. Hovering is not really good anymore for actual movement, but useful as a way to keep you from falling.

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
Note that you can only hover in a single direction.

That's not true. You must indicate which initial direction you plan to go if you gather momentum at the end of a round, but you can change direction once you are moving (at half speed). Once you have ended your movement in a specific location, you can hover in place as long as you want, but you must gather momentum again to move to another location (if you want perfect maneuverability while moving).

Remove ads