CMON Releases Details on Assassin's Creed TTRPG

Details on the story and game system emerge along with a quickstart and pre-order date.

Cool Mini or Not launched the official website for the licensed Assassin’s Creed RPG along with a tease for the new system.

thumbnail.png

Based on the long-running video game series from Ubisoft, the game places players in the center of the secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order. Just like in the video game franchise, players take on the roles of characters from the modern day making use of the Animus technology to access memories of past lives encoded in their DNA to play multiple other characters in different points of history. They use the Animi Network to enter into Simulations of these past lives as the framing device for the historical settings of the games. As the different titles in the video game series follow a single modern-day protagonist through several past lives over the course of multiple games, players in the TTRPG will dive into the past lives in multiple historical eras over the course of a campaign.

internal_image.png

The game will use a new custom system called the Match System using two sets of six custom dice, available with the set or through the use of the Assassin’s Creed RPG free dice roller app. Each die has a number of symbols matching one of four attributes - Action, Strength, Wits, and Social - with task resolution handled by rolling under their attribute score. Signature traits, equipment, and other abilities will also affect the results.

Character creation is handled through the use of the Animi Network Card Deck (or a virtual card deck on the app) during a Simulation (the video game’s term for accessing past memories). Not only will this give players access to abilities their character in the modern day doesn’t possess, but will give them the ability to learn those skills and bring them to the modern day to provide an edge in the ongoing war.

Quickstart rules are available now as well as access to the browser-based app, with pre-orders for the full game going live on September 5.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Crusadius

Adventurer
I think I'm getting old as I'm not willing to embrace such a game, only seeing the game becoming "unplayable" after a few years when the app goes offline and the special dice/cards are lost/damaged and replacements no longer available for purchase.

Edit: Ahh. I realize where that feeling comes from. It's the hill I'm willing to die on. :)

Only dice are the right and proper randomizers that one should use for role-playing games.

Basically if a game comes out using cards, hand signals, cats, or some other device to determine outcome, it's not a role-playing game.

Last edited:

Abstruse

Legend
I think I'm getting old as I'm not willing to embrace such a game, only seeing the game becoming "unplayable" after a few years when the app goes offline and the special dice/cards are lost/damaged and replacements no longer available for purchase.
Most games that use special dice typically have a table to explain how to use regular numbered dice as a substitute. But even if they don't, it's just the standard icons from the video game and there are tons of images of those out there in the wild from fans making icons and fan pages and whatnot, so it'd be easy to recreate them. So yeah, it'd be a pain - a more likely scenario would be losing the license and going out of print from that more than anything else - but it wouldn't be impossible to play. More like only really worth it if you want to put in effort.

Edit: Ahh. I realize where that feeling comes from. It's the hill I'm willing to die on. :)

The hill you’re willing to die on, or the hill you’re over? :p

Nah, I’m with you, man. There are enough ways to use polyhedral dice or just good ol’ six siders that I don’t really want any game with special dice.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

I hate proprietary dice, too. It’s worth noting there is a chart in the Quick Start so you can use regular d6s.

1 Abstergo. 2 Action. 3 Stealth. 4 Wits. 5 Social. 6 Creed.

The Quick Start is 131 pages. That’s either a lot of art or a lot of meat.

Abstruse

Legend
Will we get suitable maps for Crusades Era adventures… that’s all I want to know!
It's one of the things I'm interested in: The video games pride themselves on their historical accuracy (gently pushes Valhalla away whispering "Not you...") and it's a big selling point for the franchise. So I'm curious how they're going to adapt that for the tabletop particularly for GMs wanting to create unique scenarios. There's going to have to be some guidance in there on historical research or adapting historical events and, as someone with an amateur interest in studying history, I'm...let's say "curious" was the right word choice for a variety of connotations of the word...

Moonmover

Explorer
I'm really intrigued by having a new character in a new historical setting, potentially as often as every other session, but having it all tie together narratives.

This could be very cool.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I hate proprietary dice, too. It’s worth noting there is a chart in the Quick Start so you can use regular d6s.

1 Abstergo. 2 Action. 3 Stealth. 4 Wits. 5 Social. 6 Creed.

The Quick Start is 131 pages. That’s either a lot of art or a lot of meat.
Lots of art, lots of lore and the mechanics are explained well

Remove ads

Remove ads