• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC/Spycraft] I'm going to run a hybrid game, looking for suggestions...

Neowolf

First Post
I'm planning to run a game using mechanics from both Call of Cthulhu and Spycraft (the PCs are members of an elite military agency, thus the use of Spycraft), and I'm looking for suggestions on a few things:

1. Should we use the CoC rules for character generation, and then just give each character more skill points and an extra feat or two, or go ahead and use the Spycraft method?

2. Should we use the Action Dice rules?

3. Are the monsters from the CoC book appropriate challenges if we use Spycraft characters?

4. Are there any rules contradictions/interactions I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

I just picked up Spycraft this past weekend, and was thinking the same thing- about using the rules for CoC.

1) Since your campeign is going to be start with the characters in the military, then I assume you are planning for a more action oriented horror game? If so, then go with Spycraft. CoC characters do not lend themselves to action- unless you start them at a higher level (they fought in Desert Storm or something).

2) This goes along with the anwser for #1. I would say go for it.

3) I think they would do fine as a challenge. A crit from almost any one of them will threaten the life of a Spycraft character. I am not sure using the massive damage rule from CoC would be a good idea though.

The biggest "problem" would be assigning VP/WP to the creatures, but I don't image that being that tough.

4) As I mentioned, I don't think using the massive damage rule would be a good idea, since the VP/WP already covers that in its own way.

Otherwise- I think you should be ok. The only thing that causes a snag on my head would be CoC magic with action dice. You may want to flip through the Series Archer supplement at your LGS. I believe it has rules for magic in Spycraft- and it might give you some insight how they involved the action dice.

Respectfully Submitted,
FD

Psion

Adventurer
Generally, I would recommend using the spycraft character mechanics and then just using the CoC sanity and magic mechanics, as they are pretty portable.

Action dice or not is your call... really depends on how cinematic/modern you want your game.

Aaron L

Hero
Pretty much what Psion said is what I am using. Use action dice if you want the characters to have a better chance at living.

Scud-O

First Post
just started running the same type of thing. i think the ACTION DIE question boils down to how real you want your game. For down and dirty, DELTA GREEN-esque action, leave out the ACTION DICE. We're running a ridiculously high-powered, THE INVISIBLES type game, so we're leaving them in. we're using Spycraft creation rules with a tweaked out Improvement Point system to allow for even more customization, the SHADOWFORCE: ARCHER psionic system (minus the actual psionic classes), and CoC Sanity, Magic, Tomes, and overall feel. First session ran well, still a work in progress.

Lord_AO

First Post
1. Should we use the CoC rules for character generation, and then just give each character more skill points and an extra feat or two, or go ahead and use the Spycraft method?

I also jooz a SC/CoC soup, and want it pritty gritty. I use CoC character creation. IMO its very versatile. I plan to have all feats and class abbilities availble, (yes you may take sneak attack as a feat), but skip the magic/exotic/'unmodern' ones. In my Worlds players may only take a feat after learning with a skilled master or because of natural development (DM saysyes or no)

2. Should we use the Action Dice rules?

I do like it, and see it as DumbLuck rolls. Soometimes we all have our moments. I only use d4, wich may be stacked, given to other players and are not generated as fast as in SpyCraft.

3. Are the monsters from the CoC book appropriate challenges if we use Spycraft characters?

If you have some experience makig scenes and scenario's you'll know the answer for your own brew. What will be the 'look and feel' of your game. You set the Encounter Level. Monster reactions are also verrrry important. A mule will never kill a dragon (20,20,20,DIE), but if the dragonne falls in love with him, he may even ride er with his friends.
Any monster will do, even an orc. But only take monster that appeal to your imagination.

4. Are there any rules contradictions/interactions I should be aware of?

Play and see, or , I dunno

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads