• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CODENAME: MORNINGSTAR - Is This The End, Or Is There More To Come?

With just two days to go, the controversial Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar is closing in on its end, and with only 16% of its funding goal achieved at the time of writing, it doesn't seem likely to succeed unless something changes over the weekend. The last full update from the developers on the Kickstarter page was on December 23rd, nearly two weeks ago. However, they have been making comments recently which contain some hints at future plans.

With just two days to go, the controversial Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar is closing in on its end, and with only 16% of its funding goal achieved at the time of writing, it doesn't seem likely to succeed unless something changes over the weekend. The last full update from the developers on the Kickstarter page was on December 23rd, nearly two weeks ago. However, they have been making comments recently which contain some hints at future plans.

They say "The end of the Kickstarter doesn't necessarily signify the end for us. We'll see what the new year brings!" which hints that they won't be giving up completely, as their recent statement that "...if there does not appear to be a sufficient market interest our continued investment in the gaming industry is not assured" implied. So, even if the Kickstarter fails, it sounds like there are other plans in motion.

[lq]The end of the Kickstarter doesn't necessarily signify the end for us. We'll see what the new year brings![/lq]

The Kickstarter has actually raised $70,000 so far which, if not compared to the high initial goal of $425,000, is actually a really good showing. Nearly 1,200 people have shown positive interest and support by pledging money, so there is a support base there. With a bit of regrouping, Codename: Morningstar could still come to fruition. As they themselves say, "...one thing we've found is there are a large number of people who won't be convinced that we're doing something special until they actually see it. We're working on how to make that happen." In other words, any future approach will likely involve potential customers actually being able to see the product firsthand. Additionally, they mention that have "been working on a radical plan behind the scenes on how to price the Forge [component of C:M]", so there may be some new information on that soon.

With all that in mind, and with the end of the Kickstarter closing in, Trapdoor has posted a new "story update", which is their metaphorical way of talking about their progress:

"Newtonian smiles as he brushes the snow from his cloak. The heat from the pub's old stone hearth is pleasing, but the sheer number of friends and supporters tucked into every chair in the room warms his heart. He had been nervous when the decision was made to use Nowell's magic to return home for help. With only three days left in their quest, it seems that the Trickster's riddle will go unsolved. The rogue had feared they would not be welcomed home having failed to retrieve their magical tools before the holidays. He worried that the dream of the Crystal Tome of Storytelling would be lost. Now, as he looks over the room - the community pouring over possible solutions to the puzzle, discussing alternate routes over the mountains - Newtonian realizes this is just the first step of the journey. Determination and belief can be seen on each face. There are some tears, that's for sure, but there are no signs of surrender. Hobo, carrying a tray stacked impossibly high with beer tankards, weaves her way through the crowds - handing out frothing mugs of cheer and goodwill. Newtonian shakes his head, marveling at her resilience. A quick glance out the window shows the stars dimming as the sun begins to rise. Nowell's magic will end soon, and the adventurers of the Trapdoor Forge and Magicworks will face the final decision for solving the Trickster's puzzle. "Hurry, friends," he shouts. "Time is drawing near. The odds are impossible, but put everything you can into this final push. The story must be told!" Cinereus summons a quick volley of fireworks which fill the room with light and sound. Cups raised, a cheer goes up - one last toast to the effort, "To Morningstar!"

[video=youtube;JZRsap1TUq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JZRsap1TUq0[/video]

Evenglare

Adventurer
They should really quit this metaphor story nonsense. I have no idea what the hell the actual company is doing because I'm not going to take the time to decipher a short story relating to their business model and happenings. This information should be extremely clear to everyone and it's not, it's about the farthest thing from clear information that you can possibly get. Is anyone as annoyed as I am about this?

They should really quit this metaphor story nonsense. I have no idea what the hell the actual company is doing because I'm not going to take the time to decipher a short story relating to their business model and happenings. This information should be extremely clear to everyone and it's not, it's about the farthest thing from clear information that you can possibly get. Is anyone as annoyed as I am about this?
I'd have to care more to be annoyed, but I find it kinda ridiculous.

Henrix

Explorer
Their communication skills are awful. What they say clearly is self aggrandizing hyperbole, and that all who do not back them are stupid.
And this without showing a half decent product nor have a record of making such.

Nor do they write a good story. But not trying to say something is a step up.
Keeping quit would be better still.

Mercurius

Legend
It is too bad, because the product looks pretty good.

To be honest, what I find more disturbing is how the community mob turned against them - this thread being a case in point. I mean, sure, they haven't exactly handled this whole thing well, with some questionable decisions and communications, but they've also had some bad luck, and isn't like they're the Koch brothers trying to make profit off the Little Man at any cost. They're obviously people who love games, just like you and me.

Gamers are a very tough crowd.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Is anyone as annoyed as I am about this?

Yep. It muddles their message and for those that are already annoyed with how this has gone down, it exacerbates the feeling.

It is too bad, because the product looks pretty good.

To be honest, what I find more disturbing is how the community mob turned against them - this thread being a case in point. I mean, sure, they haven't exactly handled this whole thing well, with some questionable decisions and communications, but they've also had some bad luck, and isn't like they're the Koch brothers trying to make profit off the Little Man at any cost. They're obviously people who love games, just like you and me.

Gamers are a very tough crowd.

I think it comes down to them saying (repeatedly) that they have this awesome product, but they have failed to communicate (to most people) what exactly is so awesome about it. *They* understand it, but they seem to expect *everyone* to understand it without having the inside knowledge. This, combined with the fact that people are so disappointed by yet another set of digital tools not being available (or fully functional) for the current version of D&D makes for the perfect storm.

Also, since our entire hobby requires an emotional buy-in (at least, for the hardcore crazies like us that post on messageboards about it), when things don't go well, we get, well, emotional.

Hollow Man

Explorer
It's been said a lot before, but perhaps bears repeating. A lot of additional dislike for them came out once Trapdoor made the post about how we're voting for the status quo if we don't back their project. While previously one could simply ignore the Kickstarter if they didn't want to fund, that one comment, although undoubtedly not intended as such, came across as an attack on the community. And if there's one thing emotional, intelligent, hardcore nerds don't like, it's being manipulated in this fashion.

-HM

Adammar

Explorer
I think their arrogance and condescending attitude had something to do with it. At first people were offering some positive advice (Your asking price is to much for the market, Starting a kickstarter over the holidays isn't the best choice. Get better promotional material, a better presence, etc.) These were responded to with an overwhelming "We know better. We are the professionals. If it doesn't make then it is the communities fault not ours." So this started as "Hey. I think there's a wall ahead you better change your path" to "Hey, Don't you see the wall?" To "Idiot, your going to crash" to everyone shaking there heads at the crash site saying "I told you so." It was easily avoidable but for some reason not.

Henrix

Explorer
Morrus is actually doing them a bit of a disservice posting their updates - it had been better for them to wither silently, or put down roots before they were heard of again.

In all my years of gaming I found only one application that I couldn't do without. Masterplan (for 4e). Could create an encounter or even an entire dungeon in a few clicks. You could connect your pc to a monitor and play with your friends if you like that kind of stuff. During the battle you choose the monster power and then the target and the program was able to roll the dice, see if the attack was successful, roll for damage and then subtract from the pc's hit points. You could create an entire encyclopedia for your campaign and organize every single detail, add images etc. And if you had internet connection and an account at wizards, you could even use the compendium from inside the app.
And it was free.
How Morningstar is better than that?
(Masterplan couldn't create a character however...)
I'm using masterplan for 5e right now (I just wish it could be mod to use the stats)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
To put a different spin on this: if Trapdoor comes back and tries again after the WotC deal falling through and the Kickstarter floundering, they seem to be serious about wanting to make their thing. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads