• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CODENAME: MORNINGSTAR - Is This The End, Or Is There More To Come?

With just two days to go, the controversial Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar is closing in on its end, and with only 16% of its funding goal achieved at the time of writing, it doesn't seem likely to succeed unless something changes over the weekend. The last full update from the developers on the Kickstarter page was on December 23rd, nearly two weeks ago. However, they have been making comments recently which contain some hints at future plans.

With just two days to go, the controversial Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar is closing in on its end, and with only 16% of its funding goal achieved at the time of writing, it doesn't seem likely to succeed unless something changes over the weekend. The last full update from the developers on the Kickstarter page was on December 23rd, nearly two weeks ago. However, they have been making comments recently which contain some hints at future plans.

They say "The end of the Kickstarter doesn't necessarily signify the end for us. We'll see what the new year brings!" which hints that they won't be giving up completely, as their recent statement that "...if there does not appear to be a sufficient market interest our continued investment in the gaming industry is not assured" implied. So, even if the Kickstarter fails, it sounds like there are other plans in motion.

[lq]The end of the Kickstarter doesn't necessarily signify the end for us. We'll see what the new year brings![/lq]

The Kickstarter has actually raised $70,000 so far which, if not compared to the high initial goal of $425,000, is actually a really good showing. Nearly 1,200 people have shown positive interest and support by pledging money, so there is a support base there. With a bit of regrouping, Codename: Morningstar could still come to fruition. As they themselves say, "...one thing we've found is there are a large number of people who won't be convinced that we're doing something special until they actually see it. We're working on how to make that happen." In other words, any future approach will likely involve potential customers actually being able to see the product firsthand. Additionally, they mention that have "been working on a radical plan behind the scenes on how to price the Forge [component of C:M]", so there may be some new information on that soon.

With all that in mind, and with the end of the Kickstarter closing in, Trapdoor has posted a new "story update", which is their metaphorical way of talking about their progress:

"Newtonian smiles as he brushes the snow from his cloak. The heat from the pub's old stone hearth is pleasing, but the sheer number of friends and supporters tucked into every chair in the room warms his heart. He had been nervous when the decision was made to use Nowell's magic to return home for help. With only three days left in their quest, it seems that the Trickster's riddle will go unsolved. The rogue had feared they would not be welcomed home having failed to retrieve their magical tools before the holidays. He worried that the dream of the Crystal Tome of Storytelling would be lost. Now, as he looks over the room - the community pouring over possible solutions to the puzzle, discussing alternate routes over the mountains - Newtonian realizes this is just the first step of the journey. Determination and belief can be seen on each face. There are some tears, that's for sure, but there are no signs of surrender. Hobo, carrying a tray stacked impossibly high with beer tankards, weaves her way through the crowds - handing out frothing mugs of cheer and goodwill. Newtonian shakes his head, marveling at her resilience. A quick glance out the window shows the stars dimming as the sun begins to rise. Nowell's magic will end soon, and the adventurers of the Trapdoor Forge and Magicworks will face the final decision for solving the Trickster's puzzle. "Hurry, friends," he shouts. "Time is drawing near. The odds are impossible, but put everything you can into this final push. The story must be told!" Cinereus summons a quick volley of fireworks which fill the room with light and sound. Cups raised, a cheer goes up - one last toast to the effort, "To Morningstar!"

[video=youtube;JZRsap1TUq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JZRsap1TUq0[/video]

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I'm looking forward to the story update where they finally find the Crystal Tome of Storytelling, but the rogue can't figure out the command word, and it speaks in a language that half the party can't understand. Eventually, after much frustration, they sell it to upgrade the fighter's armor to +2.

Dausuul

Legend
It is too bad, because the product looks pretty good.

To be honest, what I find more disturbing is how the community mob turned against them - this thread being a case in point. I mean, sure, they haven't exactly handled this whole thing well, with some questionable decisions and communications, but they've also had some bad luck, and isn't like they're the Koch brothers trying to make profit off the Little Man at any cost. They're obviously people who love games, just like you and me.

Gamers are a very tough crowd.
Something about Trapdoor's attitude just grates on people. Hell, it grates on me; I realized a while back that I was being a lot harsher in my posts about CN:MS than the situation actually warranted, and made a conscious effort to be fair to Trapdoor and focus on the product rather than the publicity. Partly it's the obviously excessive hype about how revolutionary CN:MS is, partly it's the difficulty of getting actual information out of their updates. (The cutesy "story updates" don't help either... if I wanted to read bad D&D fanfic, I'd write it myself.) And then of course there was that comment about supporting the status quo. It's not as bad if you read it in context, but it's still not great. Trapdoor should thank God for Morrus; he's been pumping cure spells into their poor machine-gunned feet for weeks.

And for all the carping and snarking and online vitriol, they still raised $74,000 for their product, sight unseen. If that's the community mob turning against them, I'd like to inform the community that I am a witch, I've already turned three people into newts this morning, and torches and pitchforks are 50% off for the rest of the week.

But setting all that aside: I'm very encouraged to hear that "...one thing we've found is there are a large number of people who won't be convinced that we're doing something special until they actually see it. We're working on how to make that happen," and that they've "been working on a radical plan behind the scenes on how to price the Forge." I don't really know how a pricing plan is supposed to be radical, but everything Trapdoor does is radical, so whatever. The important thing is they finally got the message: If you want us on board, show us what you got and tell us what it costs.

They don't actually have to be revolutionary. Considering WotC's history, just having a decent set of integrated e-tools for D&D would qualify as revolutionary in itself. What they do have to do is show us some steak to go with the sizzle. I've heard enough good things from people who've used the software that I'm open to becoming a supporter (assuming the price point is at least semi-reasonable), but not until I get to try some part of CN:MS myself at the table. I don't have any iOS devices, so my only experience to date was the disastrous web beta. Just a working character generator would do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollow Man

Explorer
Trapdoor should thank God for Morrus; he's been pumping cure spells into their poor machine-gunned feet for weeks.

So true. I've been afraid Morrus was going to throw me out of here any second for all of my coming down on Trapdoor. I've definitely been critical, but as I've said before, it's because I was so darn excited by this when WotC first announced it, so seeing the poor decision making has been so disheartening.

I do credit anyone for trying to do something rather than simply consume, but this is a case where if I'm expected to pay good money, I have to be convinced that the product I buy is going to do what the company says it's going to do.

-HM

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So true. I've been afraid Morrus was going to throw me out of here any second for all of my coming down on Trapdoor.

I hope that's a joke! Despite there being folks on the internet who would have you believe otherwise (because to do otherwise would require some introspection), I've never asked someone to leave because of their opinion; only for their manners. You've been polite, if... err... repetitive. :)

Hollow Man

Explorer
I hope that's a joke! Despite there being folks on the internet who would have you believe otherwise (because to do otherwise would require some introspection), I've never asked someone to leave because of their opinion; only for their manners. You've been polite, if... err... repetitive. :)

You think I'm repetitive here? Just ask my wife:

"Don't you have someone ELSE you can talk to about this company?!??"

-HM

Shayuri

First Post
Most of the complaints I've seen about Trapdoor are justified, if perhaps sometimes a bit overstated. I don't see gamers (as represented in this matter) as being significantly tougher than most niche markets, really. Particularly compared to a lot of online-slash-moble app products, for which the client base is -notoriously- fickle and prone to hyperbole.

I wish Trapdoor well, because the more choices and success there is in this field, the better off the hobby as a whole is. That said, I feel like they have a lot to learn about how to generate positive reactions and goodwill in the community they're trying to reach out to.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
They should really quit this metaphor story nonsense. I have no idea what the hell the actual company is doing because I'm not going to take the time to decipher a short story relating to their business model and happenings. This information should be extremely clear to everyone and it's not, it's about the farthest thing from clear information that you can possibly get. Is anyone as annoyed as I am about this?

Well said.

"To be honest, what I find more disturbing is how the community mob turned against them - this thread being a case in point."

Their arrogance is what did them in (coupled with the ridiculous Kickstarter goal). PR is a big part of business, and they are terrible at it.

mxyzplk

Explorer
I just couldn't find a reason to be excited - I already have Hero Lab for Pathfinder and it's great, and all the promises of what P:M was going to really do were way too vague for me to give them money.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads