CODENAME: MORNINGSTAR Kickstarter Launched - and it's for PATHFINDER!

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date.

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date. Of course, this software was originally designed for D&D 5th Edition before the relationship between Trapdoor and WotC came to an end, so many folks will have seen beta versions of the software when it was configured for that game. It's more than a character generator, though -- "Players will be able to quickly create and manage characters, track the progress of their adventures, send secret messages, roll virtual dice and more. GM’s will be able to manage adventures, track encounters, share maps and notes as well as organize large scale campaigns all through a cleverly designed mobile interface." And later comes the "sharing" part -- "Through the Forge, Game Designers can create adventures and campaigns, share them with their friends or publish them in our Library for the entire world to enjoy." You can already sort of see how some of that sharing will work, as some pledge levels for the Kickstarter include additional content (in this case an adventure). Click here for the Kickstarter!

trapdoor.jpg

Newtonian

First Post
I'll be backing it for sure if I can squeeze some money out of the Christmas budget.

I assume you guys are familiar with it, but be sure to use KickTraq for projections and the like. As you likely know, the first few days and the last few days are when you get the big bumps; the middle 3 weeks is usually fairly flat and can be positively depressing on the days where you actually lose money. That, incidentally, is why I was surprised by your launch choice of a Friday night; most Kickstarters go for the busy periods (Monday or Tuesday lunchtime in the US, afternoon or early evening in Europe) to launch, and ensure the last couple of days are also similarly timed. If I'm not mistaken your last two days are a Saturday and Sunday, too?

It might not matter, of course!

Thanks Morrus :).

Yea, I've got my KickTraq tab open. We're actually planning on keeping a sustained update schedule–announcing partnerships throughout the effort. We've already got a number of cool announcements coming next week :).

Yes, our last 2 days are a Saturday and Sunday. To be honest, this was the absolute drop-dead date for us to be able to launch. Might not be the best timing (in year or week), but we don't have a choice. If we delayed further, Codename: Morningstar would not exist in any capacity. If we don't fund, we'll move on to projects outside of Tabletop gaming, but this is our passion project. We want it to live on!

Patrick McGill

First Post
I absolutely hope this gets funded. Though I stick with 5e for the time being, like Newtonian mentioned it seems like much of it will be useful for anyone running a game.

Seeing as how the project ends in early January, I foresee some people using christmas money right at the end, so hopefully that provides a big push.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Unless I'm missing a bunch of functionality from my copy of Hero Lab, doesn't it only do one of the 7 "modules" list up there? The character part?

The things that I know Hero Lab does are character creation, in-game status/initiative/damage tracking, and some encounter building, plus a lot of campaign customization. But I've only scratched the surface of Hero Lab, so I don't know what else it can do.

-The Gneech :cool:

lkj

Hero
Realmsworks seems a more relevant comparison. Just looked at it today after someone mentioned it. Might take a closer look at both that and herolab if licensing allows 5e support. But hopefully I'll be able to check out morningstar as well in that circumstance.

AD

augustgrace

First Post
Started to pledge, but then noticed that it is Pathfinder/d20 focused. If the product was launching with broader support for systems like White Wolf, 5e, Gurps, Numenera and others, then it would be tempting. Too narrowly focused, and the goal money goal is too ambitious. Honestly might be better to cut your losses now, than to invest another half million in a market others have already beat you to.

turkeygiant

First Post
Is the price point on this not quite steep? $50 for the player and GM content, when your main competitor Herolab is only $30. And having to pay monthly for the developer tools feels like double dipping when you are already going to be making commission off of the sale of user generated content. I also have no idea what any of the "Modules" are specifically going to do, you really need to break down EXACTLY what features they will contain.

R

RevTurkey

35,000 for 4 months of work for about a dozen full-time professionals is grossly understating the effort needed to accomplish something like this.

The product was close to the finish line with 5e content, but being that we can't release it, we have to refactor it. In truth, we think great stories and campaign settings are system agnostic. The rules, at the end of the day...aren't THAT important. It's more about the stories. We're using the money to build in the rest of the publishing and content creation system, and refactoring to pull out 5e.

I think you are asking for too much money for a product that should be nearly done already based upon the expected delivery date. I have my pencils and paper and I am happy with them...I am not the target market anyway. I am going to go refactor a teabag into a nice hot steamy brew. Good luck, you don't get if you don't ask and should this all work out then great but I am skeptical and far from convinced so far :)

Ian Danton

Explorer
I think the ease of access to each of the modules will be the key. In fact based on what you have shown us so far that is why I am "in". I love Hero Lab, and highly recommend it, however it is not at the same level of what you are trying to achieve both in terms of scope and of aesthetic (both look and feel). I also own Realmscape and have not found it easy to manage. I am sure I will get more used to it, however a smoother learning curve would be appreciated and that is what I can see with Project Morningstar. Finally as for system, I love Pathfinder and so this is great for me, if we were to get 5th edition functionality as well then all the better.

It is an ambitious target. Good luck!!

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Good luck guys. I'm not in to pathfinder or your price tag, but I absolutely hope you succeed, and provide the hobby with a kick-butt electronic tool in the process.

Remove ads

Remove ads