• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

KingCrab

First Post
Late night idea

I just got an idea though it's 2am and it may very well suck in the morning. I don't want to take an area unless I have an idea that people like. I was thinking about the command words on the decanter and an old horror movie.

Suppose someone 'evillish' buried a few (3?) people to their necks in the sand in one of the unclaimed beachy areas on the map (maybe area 4.) Perhaps this someone scrawled a creepy message into the wall for them to stare at before they met their fate. Then they commanded the decanted to pump faster with a command word, thus drowning them. Eventually the bodies decay and the skulls wash up on the beach. Anyone up for angry chomping beach skulls?

Their could be valuables on one of the bodies. Since the decanter is on geyser mode you'd have to search under the water level to dig up the corpse.

I'll have to check the SRD monsters to see what might be appropriate, or I could try to create a monster template for the angry chomping beach skulls myself. I'd also have to come up with a motive.

Anyone like the idea or is this just dumb?

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
KingCrab said:
I just got an idea though it's 2am and it may very well suck in the morning. I don't want to take an area unless I have an idea that people like. I was thinking about the command words on the decanter and an old horror movie.

Suppose someone 'evillish' buried a few (3?) people to their necks in the sand in one of the unclaimed beachy areas on the map (maybe area 4.) Perhaps this someone scrawled a creepy message into the wall for them to stare at before they met their fate. Then they commanded the decanted to pump faster with a command word, thus drowning them. Eventually the bodies decay and the skulls wash up on the beach. Anyone up for angry chomping beach skulls?

Their could be valuables on one of the bodies. Since the decanter is on geyser mode you'd have to search under the water level to dig up the corpse.

I'll have to check the SRD monsters to see what might be appropriate, or I could try to create a monster template for the angry chomping beach skulls myself. I'd also have to come up with a motive.

Anyone like the idea or is this just dumb?

That's pretty cool. You could try "Brine Zombies" - basically Aquatic zombies from Tome of Horrors, but they're only CR 1. Otherwise, I got nothing on the monster front there.

What might be interesting is if the water from the place is drained - zombies rise up from the muddy floor. That would be awesome.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Wycen said:
I was thinking of doing area 13, but it looks as if at least 2 other rooms reference it. Something about a cave in and test?

My thinking is a cleric/thaumaturge, sort of a cthonic devolved man who worships the Devourer of the Deep and sends sacrifices to their doom.

Go ahead and do it. Sounds cool.

KingCrab

First Post
der_kluge said:
That's pretty cool. You could try "Brine Zombies" - basically Aquatic zombies from Tome of Horrors, but they're only CR 1. Otherwise, I got nothing on the monster front there.

What might be interesting is if the water from the place is drained - zombies rise up from the muddy floor. That would be awesome.

Okay, I'll try it then. Put me down for area 4.

KingCrab

First Post
I'm assuming I need to either use SRD monsters or make my own creature that's significantly different from existing creatures from the Monster Manuals.

der_kluge

Adventurer
KingCrab said:
I'm assuming I need to either use SRD monsters or make my own creature that's significantly different from existing creatures from the Monster Manuals.

Any OGC source is available. That includes monsters from Tome of Horrors, for example, and just about any other 3rd party published monster book.

Vorput

First Post
K, I've been away from this thread- just read and got caught up.

So I've got an Aboleth in room 10 hey... hmm... fascinating.

I think the Aboloeth should have some giant Viper guards/pets. Huge ones are only CR 3, so they're perfect mooks- but their giant size and poison damage means they shouldn't be discounted either. That giant open expanse of water just begs for 60 foot long dark shapes moving around beneath it... are they real shapes? perhaps, but lets not discount the Aboleth's mastery of illusions...

The Vipers are normal vipers, but will recognize the Aboleth as their leader- in so far as he can communicate with them. It's possible they occasionally eat the skum, doubt the aboleth would care that much.

One thing I do have a question on is what should these things eat? And this goes for anything in the complex? If theres a decanter of endless water, and the sphere- that means no natural supply of food.... and while the PCs may not ever notice that, I strive for at least a sense of realism.

If we modify the decanter slightly, to make it tied to the elemental plane of water- it could well pull fish through I suppose...
What do you guys think?

Vorp

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Vorput said:
K,
One thing I do have a question on is what should these things eat? And this goes for anything in the complex? If theres a decanter of endless water, and the sphere- that means no natural supply of food.... and while the PCs may not ever notice that, I strive for at least a sense of realism.Vorp

I've already established that there are various vermin in the cave (eaten by the pseudodragon), no reason vermin of monstrous size couldn't be the main food supply. Eels can move overland and may have reached the cave at some point (they can also grow to gigantic size - irl), amphibians and reptiles would enjoy the conditiond of the cave and bats are always fun.

The Riptide horror is also more animal than monster and its spawn might be swimming about the cave and be eaten by others

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads