• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected Encounter Design Tips

AngryMojo

First Post
So, 4th edition has been out for over two years now, and with Essentials on the horizon and a horde of new players about to enter the game (hopefully), I believe the experienced DM's of EnWorld should pool their resources to compile a list of simple encounter building tips to help out DM's new to 4e. I don't mean the general guidelines listed in the DMG or DMG2, I'm talking about nuances in the system that may not be readily apparent. Monsters to avoid in large numbers, monster types to avoid at certain levels above and below PC level, distilled points from Stalker0's guide to anti-grind, that kind of thing.

Feel free to post a suggestion, then have people critique and discuss. I'll maintain this first post to be a compiled list of edited and streamlined tips.

Know your own processing limits. There are DMs who can keep track of multiple abilities and conditions, conditional advantages and disadvantages, and triggered abilities. There are those who can only keep track of a few. To complicate matters, some DMs find it easy to track certain types of abilities and conditions and harder to track others (as a personal example, I find it easy to track resistance, but I often forget to apply regeneration, even when it's written right next to the hit point entry on the stat card I'm looking at). Try to discover your own strengths and limits as soon as possible.

Avoid using multiple monsters that cause status effects that reduce player damage output or actions. Examples include the Dazed, Stunned and Weakened conditions, as well as the Insubstantial or Regeneration properties. One or two monsters with these abilities are alright and can make for interesting and challenging encounters, but avoid many more than two

Vary the monsters.
1. Unless you are dealing with a massive hoard, try to individualize monsters. Even if on the table you have numbers to track them, a single simple feature makes a huge difference... Especially when you really need solid narration in 4th to keep combat interesting. Little-G gnolls A, B, C are more boring than the crazy eyed, missing eartip, broken fang Big-G Gnolls you could be fighting.

Allow players to know about interactive terrain. Special terrain, such as magical circles, altars with auras, or vines you can swing on are no fun if they just sit there the entire encounter and nobody takes advantage of them. The moment a monster uses the terrain, or a player makes a quick Perception check as a minor action or with his passive value, tell them what the terrain does. Even a simple +2 to attack rolls will make people fight over that aura.

From Treasuretables.org
A simple equation
Challenge (combat, social, puzzle or other) + unique element (memorable NPC, fighting on a rope bridge, etc.) + a way to advance even if the party fails (although perhaps with penalties) = a successful encounter.

And here’s a brief example encounter:
A band of orcs (the challenge, combat) + the fight takes place in small boats on a rushing river (the unique element) + the orcs will take the PCs prisoner if the party loses (a way to advance despite failure, but with consequences).

By including only a single challenge and single unique element that defines the encounter, you’re keeping prep time and on-the-fly bookkeeping to a minimum, and keeping the focus on what makes the encounter fun (everything is within your players’ flashlight beam).

By making sure the PCs can move on even if they fail (partially or completely), you’re preventing the encounter from being a roadblock to keeping the adventure moving. And when you’re bleary-eyed from prepping for your next session, having a formula to glance at might just come in handy.
There are lots of other ways to build encounters, but this simple approach will work for most groups and most RPGs.

Last edited:

AngryMojo

First Post
As a first suggestion, I would like to propose a pitfall that I learned early on:

Avoid multiple monsters that reduce damage dealt.
One of the first adventures I ran involved an encounter with three wraiths and two corruption corpses. The entire party spent most of the encounter Weakened, and in melee with Insubstantial creatures, for a total of 1/4 damage being dealt (or 1/3, depending on how you do your math). Add on Regeneration, and the fight just wouldn't end. I nearly TPK'd the group with an encounter of equal level to the party.

If anyone has an idea to better refine or simplify this rule, feel free to comment.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Monsters who can Stun or Daze at will suck. I've seen too many players sitting for 5+ rounds/entire combats because they couldn't make a 10+ Saving Throw.

--Or, worse, they finally made their save after many failures and were immediately Stunned/Dazed by the monster before their next turn.
curses.gif

AngryMojo

First Post
Very good point, and one that is similar enough to my rule to be incorporated. How about:

Avoid using multiple monsters that cause status effects that reduce player damage output or actions. Examples include the Dazed, Stunned and Weakened conditions, as well as the Insubstantial or Regeneration properties. One or two monsters with these abilities are alright and can make for interesting and challenging encounters, but avoid many more than two.

FireLance

Legend
Mine is three bits of advice that are all linked:

1. Know your own processing limits: There are DMs who can keep track of multiple abilities and conditions, conditional advantages and disadvantages, and triggered abilities. There are those who can only keep track of a few. To complicate matters, some DMs find it easy to track certain types of abilities and conditions and harder to track others (as a personal example, I find it easy to track resistance, but I often forget to apply regeneration, even when it's written right next to the hit point entry on the stat card I'm looking at). Try to discover your own strengths and limits as soon as possible.

2. Plan your encounters to play to your strengths and avoid your limits: This may include avoiding abilities and conditions that you find hard to keep track of and use, limiting the number and variety of conditions that the monsters as a whole will use in any one encounter, or even substituting a monster ability that you have difficulty with for another that makes the encounter easier for you to run. You already have a lot to do in an encounter. Don't make it unnecessarily hard on yourself.

3. It's okay to use simple monsters: Not every monster in an encounter needs to inflict conditions or have special abilities. It's okay to use a few monsters that simply attack and deal damage, or have abilities that require almost no tracking such as push, pull or slide (if you use a battlemat). They can add to the danger level and tension of an encounter at a relatively low cost in terms of your processing power.

Last edited:

BlackTiger

First Post
Two things -

Two things I keep reminding myself in any game, especially true in 4th -

Unless you are dealing with a massive hoard, try to individualize monsters. Even if on the table you have numbers to track them, a single simple feature makes a huge difference... Especially when you really need solid narration in 4th to keep combat interesting. Little-G gnolls A, B, C are more boring than the crazy eyed, missing eartip, broken fang Big-G Gnolls you could be fighting.

Consider all the party roles and where they place in your encounter. Even better, tailor the combat to your party's mix. Lots of strikers need lots of brutes, lots of soldiers can use lots of artillery... And so on.

Mesh Hong

First Post
Remember that encounter design is not a competition. Make sure you include encounters that play to your parties strengths as well as encounters that exploit their weaknesses.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Add interesting terrain (elevation changes, cover & concealment locations, difficult terrain). Battle in the woods? Have a giant fallen tree sectioning a portion off requiring a climb check or running up from a lower end or hollow opening. Plains, have a giant sloped rock outcropping. Snowfield, snow covered pits and ice. Dungeons, underwater tunnels under the map to get to the other side. Caves, side passages that require squeezing, streams that force movement with little islands of solid ground in the middle.

Never add flying creatures without a way to get up to them or bring lower outside of player powers.

Add interactive terrain. The skull-skull ball from DMG1, ziplines, loose rocks ready to fall over.

Don't use swarms. They are lethally effective, and not very much fun to fight.

Be very sparing in use of monsters with damaging or debilitating auras.

When in doubt, use more lower-level monsters instead of fewer higher-level monsters.

Storminator

First Post
To follow jimmifett's point - let your players KNOW about the interactive terrain. Nothing worse than a bunch of interesting stuff nobody uses.

PS

Remove ads