• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collecting Thoughts on a Collector Villian

Three_Haligonians

First Post
So, the latest adventure came to a close in my game this past week and now it's time to start a new one! I introduced some hints and a bit of back story for it already, so the players are ready to go but I only have the bare bones of an idea and was hoping a bit of a brainstorm here could help me flesh it out, so here we go:

The basic plot is this: the group, in an attempt to track down a McGuffin, is going to come across some manner of collector, a powerful entity who "acquires" strange and powerful things of all sorts.

My main question is, what should he/she/it be? I'd like to find something a little unique or quirky to fill this role but I'm open to suggestions. I'm kind of interested in using a Slaadi of some kind but their chaotic nature makes me a little hesitant; a "collector" type seems to be lawful in nature but hey.. it could happen right?

So any thoughts you might have, on who this BBEG is or even tactics/minions employed, or even an idea or two on things to do, clues to leave, descriptions to give - you name it and I'm interested.

Oh, for what it is worth, the PCs of my game are a group of 6 (possibly 7) characters of lvl 30-32 with 1 lvl 29 cohort. So really, you don't have to worry about power level - at this stage they can take just about anything.

Thanks,

J from Three Haligonians

Brakkart

First Post
If your party were high enough level to deal with one, I'd suggest a Neh-Thalggu from the Epic Level Handbook as being a perfect candidate for this sort of villain. Then not only would they be competing against something that collects items like the one they are after, they face the horrifying prospect that it is also out to collect them too!

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Epic levels eh? You have a few cool options.

1) A really advanced dragon. Long life-span, has a tendency to horde stuff anyway. Minions could be subservient dragons looking to move up in the world.

2) A vampire with lots of spellcaster levels. Long life-span, collects magical stuff.
Minions could be undead of all sorts, necromancers, etc.

3) A demigod.
Minions can be whatever fits the deity.

4) Some kind of uber-powerful mind flayer who collects powerful minds as trophies.
Minions could be adventurers turned into thralls.

Dave

Menexenus

First Post
The description of your collector-guy also reminded me a little of Lyzandred from the 2nd edition trilogy produced by TSR circa 1998. (Star Cairns, Lyzandred the Mad, Doomgrinder) If I remember correctly, he was a lich living on a demiplane who felt it was his duty to protect humanity from powerful magic items. (BTW, he wasn't an evil lich. He was just a wizard who became a lich because he needed to become immortal in order to complete his task. However, his undead side was making him a little crazy.)

Don't know if any of this helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads