• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat Reflexes and Flat Footed

Zhure

First Post
All except 1 and consequently, 5.

An AoO is an "attack action" but not a type of action. It's not a standard action, move action, move-equivalent action or free action. Even with Combat Reflexles kicking off an attack, you're still flat-footed until your initiative count kicks in.

Off-hand, I can't think of anything that would make you not flat-footed before your initiative except Uncanny Dodge.

Greg

pontus

First Post
A character with both Uncanny Dodge and Combat Reflexes does not suffer any of the usual penalties (loss of Dex bonus to AC and loss of AOOs) but he's still flat-footed.

D'karr

Adventurer
Still Flatfooted

A character with both Uncanny Dodge and Combat Reflexes does not suffer any of the usual penalties (loss of Dex bonus to AC and loss of AOOs) but he's still flat-footed.

That is correct which means that he can still be sneak attacked, he just gets to add his Dex to AC.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
4. You are flat-footed until your first action (NOT until you take your turn).

Sorry, you're firmly contradicting me... without referencing the rules?

That shows a lot of confidence, that does. Misplaced, perhaps, but confidence nonetheless.

PHB p120 : Flat-footed: At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initative order), you are flat-footed.

PHB Glossary : Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initative order.

The definition in the glossary is simple. The definition in the main text goes out of its way to clarify when you are no longer flat-footed.

AoOs don't change that.

-Hyp.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
That is correct which means that he can still be sneak attacked, he just gets to add his Dex to AC.

Nope, being flat-footed has no bearing on sneak attacks, except that a character is normally deprived of their Dex mod to AC.

From PHB 47: "any time the rogue's target would be deprived his Dexterity bonus to AC... or when the rogue flanks the target"

Sorry, no mention of being flat-footed in the SA description in the PHB.

D'karr

Adventurer
Correct, should have said flanked & sneak attacked. And if the character flanking has higher initiative they get sneak attacked twice.

Had somebody once argue that because they were not losing their bonus to AC while flat-footed they couldn't be sneak attacked. At the time they were flanked, which didn't matter. They did die quickly.

Number47

First Post
Let's not forget that Combat Reflexes also lets you make more than one sneak attack, depending on your dexterity. A lot of people poo-poo this feat, but I think it's pretty darn great.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Let's not forget that Combat Reflexes also lets you make more than one sneak attack, depending on your dexterity.

You mean AoO, right?

Of course, the one-per-opponent rule does limit the usefulness of that somewhat, but it is still a nice benefit.

-Hyp.

Artoomis

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Sorry, you're firmly contradicting me... without referencing the rules?

That shows a lot of confidence, that does. Misplaced, perhaps, but confidence nonetheless.

PHB p120 : Flat-footed: At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initative order), you are flat-footed.

PHB Glossary : Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initative order.

The definition in the glossary is simple. The definition in the main text goes out of its way to clarify when you are no longer flat-footed.

AoOs don't change that.

-Hyp.

Well, it looks like my recollections of the rules was wrong. Who'd have thought?

You are right, and I was *sheepish grin* wr... wr... wr... wr... wrong!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads