• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Faolyn

(she/her)
Not saying this is my position, but...

I think there's a possible argument that chainmail bikinis are "sex-positive" and fight against oppressive traditions that demand modesty and policing of the female body.
This depends heavily on who's choosing the chainmail bikini. When you have guys drawing women in chainmail bikinis primarily for cheesecake, no. If a woman decides her character wears it because darnit, she'll wear what she wants, then yes.

Faolyn

(she/her)
If we want to tell a story about prejudice being bad, then we most likely need to also be able to depict prejudice. It is not about being hostile, it is about being able to tell such stories.
The problem is that you (generic you) would need to actually tell a story about prejudice being bad, and more importantly, tell the story well. How many people (and game companies) are actually good enough to write those stories well? And how many people and game companies are actually going to write those stories instead of just including bigotry or whatever just for the heck of it?

Clint_L

Hero
WotC the company should not do chainmail bikini babes in their official art because, given the context and history, doing so would be offensive and alienating to a lot of people. Those old Frazetta-style costumes were all about selling T&A to dudes, not female empowerment, and we all know it. Come on.

However, if an individual wants to have their character be a hot babe in a chainmail bikini, then all power to 'em. Presumably, they know the people they are playing D&D with, and understand what is considered cool and awesome amongst their own friend group. If chainmail bikinis are your thing, bless. Still a bad look for a company like WotC, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...If one approaches it some other way then either they need an intervention like Debbie

Mod Note:
Hey, that's not cool. Arguments of the form, "If you do it differently from me, you need mental health intervention" are insulting. Please tone it down.

Your rights end where another person begins, and you have overstepped your bounds with your God complex.

See above. A person who just above says that only their own way is acceptable, and rejects folks trying to make room for other ways of thinking, does not get to accuse others of having a god complex.

I'm going to have to ask you to dial it back on the OneTrueWay thing you have going here. If you have a problem with this request, please take it to private messages - the mods will not argue with you over it in the thread.

Thomas Shey

Legend
So, the point of this response and quoting me is.... what?

Quoting you was because you prompted the thought, and the point in the response was to show that the two views were compatible.

So, sure, both can be present in the same character: I never said they couldn't or even implied it was mutually exclusive.

I mean, it seems like you are agreeing with me and disagreeing with me at the same time...

Responses to someone are not always really responses to them.

Remove ads