• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Which many people love. Strange idea to decry something because it has "mass appeal." That means huge numbers of people like it. Which in turn means huge numbers of people being happy.
I kinda hate the live action remakes. They have no value to me. Mass appeal isn't a factor of likeability or quality to me.

That being said, it's no skin off my nose if they exist, so long as people keep making stuff I like too.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, QUILTBAG is brand new to me, and I'm not fully familiar with what the "U" represents in this instance.

Of course, I live in an area with an incredibly large indigenous population, so these parts we tend to use 2SLGBTQIA+, but that's a relatively new thing honestly.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Sorry, but the audience for TSR in those early days,was limited to the pkaces it was sold, which was often hobby shops in college towns as the college student, not teens living with mom and dad.

The art for D&D was less than that of AD&D, which was the one cluttered with full page color art strewn with chainmail bikinis.

D&D had only minor color art and was mostly black and white sketches, so you could not tell if pants or a furkini was being worn half the time inside of a book.

That is not to say box art and covers were not provocative themselves.
sorry, but JCPenneys in a suburban mall is not a small college town, and where I got all my books.

Hussar

Legend
I mean, QUILTBAG is brand new to me, and I'm not fully familiar with what the "U" represents in this instance.

Of course, I live in an area with an incredibly large indigenous population, so these parts we tend to use 2SLGBTQIA+, but that's a relatively new thing honestly.
Heh. I get the idea of being inclusive in the acronym, but, come on. :D At some point there needs to be some trimming. I mean, writting that is hard enough, but, how in the heck am I supposed to say that without tripping over letters/forgetting stuff?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads