• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

LesserThan

Explorer
With that accent I'm sure he wasn't a Yankee.
We are both wrong then as he is from the North. According to Wikipedia a leghorn was originally an Italian breed, and the males are white with a red comb.

"According to the British standard, fully grown Leghorn cocks weigh 3.4 kg (7.5 lb), hens 2.5 kg; cockerels weigh 2.7–2.95 kg and pullets 2–2.25 kg; for bantams the maximum weight is 1020 g for cocks and 910 g for hens.[7] Ring size is 18 mm for cocks, 16 mm for hens."

I guess this is why Avatar's Navi and dragonborn females got mammories in their art. :censored:

LesserThan

Explorer
I think if a friend said that to me, I would find it funny. But if it was someone I didn’t know well, yeah, I’d be suspicious.
I might have called my aunts that, and then beaten with a broom.

Now where is quilting bee art in representation, thinking about gays liking Golden Girls from pages back.

It is like the art only tries to show action and heroic events now. I remember old art nust shlwing an ocopied tavern on occasion to set the mood for the DM.

Previously mentioned Planescape, as well as Ravenloft, had more relaxed art, not in the thralls of combat.

I guess WotC just has no idea what art is being placed anywhere, except to clutter the page if it is all like the Lego adventure. :(

pawsplay

Hero
Heh. I get the idea of being inclusive in the acronym, but, come on. :D At some point there needs to be some trimming. I mean, writting that is hard enough, but, how in the heck am I supposed to say that without tripping over letters/forgetting stuff?

There is always room for people still finding their way.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
oh boy, 23 pages on this?

This is exactly the same as the "evil Hasbro CEO" getting a bonus while workers are let go: This is not a D&D problem. This is a society problem.

It's not just PCs and NPCs depiction in D&D art that has a heavy "lookism" issue - it's society in general.

LesserThan

Explorer
oh boy, 23 pages on this?

This is exactly the same as the "evil Hasbro CEO" getting a bonus while workers are let go: This is not a D&D problem. This is a society problem.

It's not just PCs and NPCs depiction in D&D art that has a heavy "lookism" issue - it's society in general.
Lookism?

So, when we say "the market", that has two possible meanings. One is "the market as it is", the other is "the potential market". You can appeal to one, and turn off the other, in the same move.
Yes. And thus you can play it safe and continue to appeal to your established market, or you can take a risk and try to broaden your appeal.

Remove ads