• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Okay, but then how can you say elves have "fair, aquiline features" or any other typical look? Isn't this thread about getting rid of assumptions about appearance?
Generally fair, aquiline features. And again, it can be a fun design challenge to break the trend and still make a character recognizably elf-y (or dwarf-y, or whatever). Nobody is going to mistake that fat elf for a human or a dwarf, despite her having a body type not typically seen on elves. I that particular piece, the ears are doing a lot of the work to indicate that the character is an elf, but it works. Alternatively, you could design an elf character with rounded ears, and lean more on facial and body proportions and/or exotic coloration to indicate elfyness. There’s a shared visual language around elves, and you can lean heavier on some parts of that visual language in order to buy yourself more leeway to go lighter on others and still express that the character is an elf.

Another example you can look to is the dwarves designs in the Peter Jackson Hobbit movies. Between the 13 of them, there is a variety of builds, facial structures, and styles and colors of hair and facial hair (including clean-shaven in one case), but you can still tell they’re all dwarves. One of the very few things I’ll praise those otherwise awful films for.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Just for fun, I decided to edit the ears out of the Daggerheart illustration. Does this still look like an elf to people (i.e., does it have a "distinctively elvish" look), and if so, why?

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure I would assume this was a human if I saw this illustration with no context.

View attachment 357570
Well, he has tree branches for one arm and one leg, and hair made of leaves. Without the ears, I’d be inclined to assume he was a dryad or some sort of part-elemehtal. Maybe a human druid, though it wouldn’t be my first guess.

But, it’s kind of a moot point, since he does have the ears, so we could all correctly tell that he’s an elf. I bet I could also find art of a flat-eared elf that we can all tell is an elf, though they probably won’t be fat. There are multiple dials an artist can turn.

EDIT: Here, this looks pretty recognizably elf-y, but has ears you might see on a human.
1712946528123.jpeg

I dislike when elves are just humans with pointed ears. Now in a lot of live action there are understandable reasons why it this is so, as the elves are played by human actors, though of course even then one can choose actors with certain sort of features. But that still makes elven looks just a subsection of human looks. But in art we don't need to have such limitations, so elves can look more alien.

When I think photorealistic elves, I imagine something a bit like the pearl aliens from the live action Valerian film.
They look humanish, but also a bit weird and ethereal.

d4ae3acd98c401c66cb9f8ce5a00c615.jpg

still_valerian-1.jpg

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
But (this is a genuine question, so please take it in good faith), what hooks them about the non-human characters,
That would depend entirely on the individual. You'd have to ask each person seperately. I really like the planetouched people--tiefs, aasimar, genasi, etc. Maybe it is because I'm LGBT+ (I'm ace) or maybe it's because I'm autistic--because of both these things, I've managed to feel "other" for most of my life and could related to them. Maybe it was purely because I love DiTerlizzi's art and 2e Planescape.

I have two friends who love playing catfolk. One just really likes cats; the other likes cats and has a whole otherkin thing going on. Both of them get kind of upset if they don't have that option for a character, even though the first tends to play their tabaxi like stereotypical housecats. I have another friend who tends to gravitate to the burly races--orcs, dwarfs, warforged. I don't know why exactly, but since he got annoyed once when I was talking about wanting more gracile warforged (since I don't like how clunky the art normally makes them look), I have to assume he likes the burlyness and solidity of those races, and a fat elf may be burly but wouldn't scratch that itch.

f it's not distinctive mechanics and it's not distinctive appearance? If it's the fictional culture or society, surely that varies from campaign to campaign? (And you seem to imply that most gamers don't really care about the fictional society with your comment about "bearded Scottish dwarves" anyway.)
To start off with, most races do have distinctive mechanics. For instance, a hill dwarf has darkvision, dwarven resilience, combat training, tool proficiency, stonecunning, and dwarven toughness, while a wood elf has darkvision, keen senses, fey ancestry, trance, elf weapon training, fleet of foot, and mask of the wild. Other than darkvision--and that's a whole 'nother conversaion--they're entirely different.

But no, I don't think most people really bother with creating fully-fledged cultures for each race/heritage/ancestry in their game. Nor do most players really want to remember more than a few bullet points. Xenofiction is hard, after all, and it can be difficult to come up with nonhuman cultural elements that are easy to remember and will be fully playable by humans and won't be skeevy and won't involve more worldbuilding than most DMs have the time to put in. How many settings really take into consideration what the presence of magic, monsters, and active gods would really do to a world? Throw in truly inhuman non-humans, and it would be overwhelming for a lot of players.

I guess there are still things like dragonborn or maybe orcs or tieflings, but should humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, and gnomes just be lumped into "humanoids" at this point? And do we lose anything if we do that?
Well, ignoring how, as I showed you above, different the humanoid races are... lots of games don't bother with racial mechanics, or treat them as no different than any other type of mechanic, or have the differences as an option. So, for D&D, probably not. But plenty of other games have already done this.

Far be it from me to stand in the way of what people find fun at their own tables. Let a thousand flowers bloom and all that. But I can't help wondering, if all fantasy species are mechanically interchangeable and have exactly the same range of appearance features as humans ... is there any point to having different species at all?
I think, that where the question falls into a logical fallacy, is that playing a particular race does not require a character to have all the race’s traits, just a sufficient amount of traits to be recognizable as that race. To go even further, I would point out that different people can reasonably disagree on which traits are necessary to be recognizable as a race.

Imagine a character named Evandriel. They have an ambiguous gender, they are a cleric of Corellon, they live in the forest. They have pointed ears and can use Mark of the wild to Hide when lightly concealed in a natural setting. They don’t sleep but instead trance, during which rather than dream they relive past lives. BUT, in all character art, they are portrayed as corpulent.

Is the fact that they are fat sufficient to outweigh all the other indicators that they are a wood elf?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Just for fun, I decided to edit the ears out of the Daggerheart illustration. Does this still look like an elf to people (i.e., does it have a "distinctively elvish" look), and if so, why?

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure I would assume this was a human if I saw this illustration with no context.

View attachment 357570
Is there anything particularly elfish about this pic, now that I've docked the ears?

1712949600530.png

Remove ads