D&D 5E Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate Huge Leak: Spoiler Alert

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
IIRC, she played a part in the BaldurGate crew comic where they went to Barovia. This is going to be a bit of a pan-D&D set of characters, I suppose, anyways.

Well, you'd think the set would try to stick to characters from Baldur's Gate (or at least have been to Baldur's Gate like the Githyanki).

kapars

Adventurer
I buy Magic Cards to look at the art so apologies if I misinterpret something but the Criminal Past and other Backgrounds cards are very interesting from a D&D perspective considering a recent Sage Advice video where it was said more emphasis will be place on backgrounds. Here it seems to be a full blown mechanic for this set.

Also: What is the Kensei card with the exile mechanic trying to convey in terms of flavor? Does it tie to any existing Kensei mechanic in D&D?

Last edited:

Well, you'd think the set would try to stick to characters from Baldur's Gate (or at least have been to Baldur's Gate like the Githyanki).

Or heck even Characters that are from the Forgotten Realms. Damn just had the weird thought what if they reconned the original Barvaria's Prime Material Plane to be Toril, but because it was ripped from the world by the Dark Powers, no evidence wad left behind. It's always been Mystery what world it came from. If WotC does this, it's likely to angry alot of Ravenloft fans I think.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Or heck even Characters that are from the Forgotten Realms. Damn just had the weird thought what if they reconned the original Barvaria's Prime Material Plane to be Toril, but because it was ripped from the world by the Dark Powers, no evidence wad left behind. It's always been Mystery what world it came from. If WotC does this, it's likely to angry alot of Ravenloft fans I think.
The 5E "soft" canon is that it comes from Jeremy Crawford's homebrew world that Perkins was a player in for years. Both Curse of Strahd and Vam Richten's provide Easter Eggs for that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe, but they are going to have to explain how he and his evil nursenaid ended up in Baldur's Gate?
No, they aren't. Commander Legends isn't a story set, and explicitly contains incoherent combos from all over Magic history and cosmology. The previous iteration included new cards for characters that are, canonically, dead. There is no need for an "ex0lanation", nor will one be forthcoming.

Urriak Uruk

Yeah, it's definitely not. Barovia and Borca are actually from the same world, and its established that after Barovia was subsumed, a couple hundred years passed and then Borca was taken too. Additionally, we actually know a bit about this world from Van Richten's. The city Malitain, where Ulmist Inquisitors originate, is from the same world as Borca/Barovia, and is notably not been subsumed by Ravenloft.

Not only is Malitain not in Toril (it's world is not named) people there seem to know the history of Borca/Barovia. So it seem more like that world is much like Eberron, where regions disappeared (like the Mournland).

It's heavily implied that Crawford's world is where Malitain sits.

Urriak Uruk

Given how Magic Commander worked last time they did, thematic consistency isn't really part of it: that was an All-Stars set, not a plot set. So very random characters are likely.

I mean, you're right (the cards speak for themselves, there's really no consistency). I'm just saying there should be. If they make another D&D set for say Eberron, I'd like them to stick to stuff actually tied to the place closely.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, you're right (the cards speak for themselves, there's really no consistency). I'm just saying there should be. If they make another D&D set for say Eberron, I'd like them to stick to stuff actually tied to the place closely.
But realistically, as a card focused set with a large grab bag of characters being central to Commander, this is going to be a Pan-D&D deal.

Remove ads