D&D 5E Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate Huge Leak: Spoiler Alert

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, it's definitely not. Barovia and Borca are actually from the same world, and its established that after Barovia was subsumed, a couple hundred years passed and then Borca was taken too. Additionally, we actually know a bit about this world from Van Richten's. The city Malitain, where Ulmist Inquisitors originate, is from the same world as Borca/Barovia, and is notably not been subsumed by Ravenloft.

Not only is Malitain not in Toril (it's world is not named) people there seem to know the history of Borca/Barovia. So it seem more like that world is much like Eberron, where regions disappeared (like the Mournland).

It's heavily implied that Crawford's world is where Malitain sits.
I wonder if Crawford's world is one of thenew Settings they may be working on?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
But realistically, as a card focused set with a large grab bag of characters being central to Commander, this is going to be a Pan-D&D deal.

I don't really agree. I think the last two sets have been, but MTG has been making sets tied to specific setting for years (it's their main release model). They chose to make the D&D sets like this. For the first it was fine, but in the future I'd prefer they actually stay close to their title's premise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't really agree. I think the last two sets have been, but MTG has been making sets tied to specific setting for years (it's their main release model). They chose to make the D&D sets like this. For the first it was fine, but in the future I'd prefer they actually stay close to their title's premise.
And this isn't one of those Premiere Sets, explicitly, which is the lingo for those Setting focused plot Sets. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms was a Premiere Set, and followed that model. Commander Legends doesn't do that.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
And this isn't one of those Premiere Sets, explicitly, which is the lingo for those Setting focused plot Sets. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms was a Premiere Set, and followed that model. Commander Legends doesn't do that.

We are going in circles here so I should drop it, but my point is relatively simple; the cards should stick to the premise of the sets name.

Checking the wiki, it looks like Warhammer 40k is getting a Commander deck. As an example, I think it should stick to 40k characters/worlds and not include Warhammer Fantasy or Age of Sigmar material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We are going in circles here so I should drop it, but my point is relatively simple; the cards should stick to the premise of the sets name.

Checking the wiki, it looks like Warhammer 40k is getting a Commander deck. As an example, I think it should stick to 40k characters/worlds and not include Warhammer Fantasy or Age of Sigmar material.
The pre-built decks well may be more focused, but the premise is "Commander Legends," which means al All-Star grabbag of random characters for Drafting Commander.

The pre-built decks well may be more focused, but the premise is "Commander Legends," which means al All-Star grabbag of random characters for Drafting Commander.

The original Commander Legends wasn't set in a specific setting within MtG, never mind a specific city, this one is.

Don't get me wrong, you are probably right to a degree, but I think it will be a small minority of characters that aren't "Forgotten Realms" characters, although I do believe Strahd did visit FR during the conjunction or whatever it was called in earlier editions.

The vast majority will be FR characters (including the greater FR area, not just Toril, but Realmspace, and connected planes/afterlives (Gods and other planar creatures tied to FR lore, like Lae'zel).

But I can see a few exceptions,like Strahd and Tasha, but I do expect them to get FR tie ins, because WotC likes to tossing others settinger stars into FR in general.

anyways either way like I said, CL1 had no setting or theme, CLB absolutely does, even abit of story to it I think (Baldur Gates broad story).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The original Commander Legends wasn't set in a specific setting within MtG, never mind a specific city, this one is.

Don't get me wrong, you are probably right to a degree, but I think it will be a small minority of characters that aren't "Forgotten Realms" characters, although I do believe Strahd did visit FR during the conjunction or whatever it was called in earlier editions.

The vast majority will be FR characters (including the greater FR area, not just Toril, but Realmspace, and connected planes/afterlives (Gods and other planar creatures tied to FR lore, like Lae'zel).

But I can see a few exceptions,like Strahd and Tasha, but I do expect them to get FR tie ins, because WotC likes to tossing others settinger stars into FR in general.

anyways either way like I said, CL1 had no setting or theme, CLB absolutely does, even abit of story to it I think (Baldur Gates broad story).
Well, as far as WotC is concerned, all D&F Settings tie together. The Baldur's Gate thing is more marketing than story here, I'd wager.

Well, as far as WotC is concerned, all D&F Settings tie together. The Baldur's Gate thing is more marketing than story here, I'd wager.

So far it's more then that, I mean it's not exclusive, but it's more then marketing (now naming books after fameous characters, that is pure marketing), most of the characters revealed are tied to Baldur's Gate (mostly video games so far and TTRPG suppiments), one might be tied to BG (I suspect so), Oji is a new diverse character I think. So far Halaster of Waterdeep is mentioned one background (so he might be getting a card, which is cool), and one Ravenloft character, the rest have BG ties. And a few of the Crowd Lands have BG references, as do the basic lands, and the Gate Thrivelands (and possibly other Gates) are clearly named after BG's Gates.

Wyll's Reversal is named after a BG3 origin character (its a red redirect spell, which suggests Wyll will be mono red with Choose a Background Human Warlock, which in my option suits him).

Minsc obviously is tied to BG (although he comes from Rasheman).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So far it's more then that, I mean it's not exclusive, but it's more then marketing (now naming books after fameous characters, that is pure marketing), most of the characters revealed are tied to Baldur's Gate (mostly video games so far and TTRPG suppiments), one might be tied to BG (I suspect so), Oji is a new diverse character I think. So far Halaster of Waterdeep is mentioned one background (so he might be getting a card, which is cool), and one Ravenloft character, the rest have BG ties. And a few of the Crowd Lands have BG references, as do the basic lands, and the Gate Thrivelands (and possibly other Gates) are clearly named after BG's Gates.

Wyll's Reversal is named after a BG3 origin character (its a red redirect spell, which suggests Wyll will be mono red with Choose a Background Human Warlock, which in my option suits him).

Minsc obviously is tied to BG (although he comes from Rasheman).
Yeah, it's a bit of a theme...but Baldur's Gate characters also happen to be some of the best known IP from D&D, so they fit for a general All-Star Set.

Remove ads