D&D 5E Common house rules for 5e.

glass

(he, him)
I have a bunch, but the main one that players seem to ask for is "bonus action to drink a potion."
I do the closest equivalent (swift action) in PF1.

This prevents the silly "whack-a-mole" chumbawamba.
CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

• 5 minutes short rests, max per hour, 2 per long rest
Is that "max 1 per hour"?

glass

(he, him)
Yes, I meant one SR per hour maximum.
Interesting idea. As much as I prefer short rests that are actually short, I have never liked it when the system incentivises doing multiple short rests back to back. Limiting them to one per hour would certainly prevent that, although I would worry that it would prevent "legitimate" short rests (ie, one that are after actual encounters that are less than an hour appart) too.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Pooled Inspiration: When someone gains inspiration, it doesn't go to them, personally. It goes into a party pool. Anyone in the pool may draw from it with party approval, max one point drawn per round. Max pool size = 1x # characters n the party.

The pool is kept visible on the table, as a reminder to folks that they can use it.

I have a few houserules (some nicked from 3rd party sources).

These all come from Fateforge's system, but some have been modified:
  • Wounds (modified to allow a Con save to avoid because they are exceedingly deadly).
  • Critical Hits/Misses on Magic spells
  • Critical Hits/Misses on Saving Throws
  • Geomagic (absolutely love this, but slightly modified them for more variety)
These are my own houserules:
  • Electronic devices are allowed at the table, but sound has to be muted and you have to be prepared for your turn when it comes up. I have a couple of ADHD players that need the distraction when it's not their turn so I've gotten lenient as long as it's not disruptive to the game/other players.
  • No tracking of player ammo except on a Natural 1. If a player is using ranged weapon that requires ammo (so a bow or crossbow, but not a javelin) I'm assuming they're using post battle actions/off time to top off their ammo. If the player rolls a nat 1 while using the ranged weapon though I have them roll a Wis save (dc 12) and if they fail it they're out of ammo until they get a chance to replenish. For the most part it makes it easier for me and the players and has still caused a couple of "out of ammo" scenarios.
  • I do allow Critical Hits/Misses on skills, but no auto-successes/failures. I generally paint a Critical miss as either an extraordinary failure or flawed success and a critical hit as an amazing success or a marginal/dramatic failure (if it still fails). As an example of this, a few weeks ago my players ran into a chasm they had to leap across. Most of the players made the check, but hilariously the barbarian rolled a nat 1 on his athletics check. The rogue also rolled a nat 20. The barbarian roll was still high enough to "succeed" so I ruled that he succeeded on the jump, but miscalculated the distance and overshot the party which landed him in the next cavern which also started an encounter. For the rogue I ruled that she made the jump with extra flair and gained an inspiration from it.
  • Healing from being unconscious may not instantly revive the target. If a creature/character is knocked out due to damage in combat and has healing applied to them they have to make a con save to regain consciousness. If they fail they remain unconscious until someone else wakes them up, they take damage, or they awaken natural (determined randomly).

Remove ads