D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
but I am a bit surprised that hunter and horizon walker are doing so well - the first was for long seen as meh (I think it's solid) and the second has a very narrow theme...
For me Hunter is the best because it is the most widely usable subclass for all rangers. It is the same reason I feel Knowledge Domain is the best for Cleric because it is also the most widely usable, etc. (part of the reason why it annoyed me Tempest won over Knowledge...).

Nothing wrong with horizon walker or tempest domain, but they are themed, which makes them too niche for me.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
For me Hunter is the best because it is the most widely usable subclass for all rangers. It is the same reason I feel Knowledge Domain is the best for Cleric because it is also the most widely usable, etc. (part of the reason why it annoyed me Tempest won over Knowledge...).

Nothing wrong with horizon walker or tempest domain, but they are themed, which makes them too niche for me.
how is the knowledge domain less themed than tempest? I'm not saying you're wrong, rather that I don't understand...

niklinna

satisfied?

I thought the whole point of subclasses was to have a theme!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
how is the knowledge domain less themed than tempest? I'm not saying you're wrong, rather that I don't understand...
I'm saying the subclass is more universally useful regardless of the type of cleric you play:

1. Spells: Command & Identify (both useful)
2. Two skill proficiencies (with expertise) from Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion. Arcana and Nature are the most useful IME, but Religion can certainly come in handy. I've even seen History help out in games.
3. Channel Divinity: Proficiency in any skill or tool for 10 minutes. Very handy IME due to times when no one has a skill that is needed or at least your Cleric doesn't.
4. Channel Divinity: Read Thoughts with possible Suggestion use. I've seen this used effectively in social and "exploration" situations, it is even useful in combat.
5. Potent Cantrips (no brainer for combat)
6. Visions of the Past - knowledge is power IMO, but I've never had or seen a cleric reach this level. I can see times when this could be useful, but haven't yet.

So, this subclass is useful in all the pillars IME. It is not "great" in specific ways like some others, but generically good all around.

By comparison, Tempest is great for combat, and the final feature more useful than Knowledge's for both combat and exploration in general, but the other features for Tempest aren't as universally useful.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I thought the whole point of subclasses was to have a theme!
For a lot of people, it is. For me, it isn't.

I prefer the way I play the PC, their background/story, and the choices I have them make to be their "theme", not just powers / features.

I am not a fan of subclasses, TBH, in general. So, my preference is for subclasses that are more useful regardless of my character's theme. Lore Bards, Knowledge Clerics, Champion Fighters, and so on.

Remove ads