D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XV: The FINAL ROUND)

Well, I've never even seen one played in my games, either, so yeah my three PCs were classing Fighter, Cleric, Wizard so I decided to go with Battle Master and Tempest domain.

Opportunities came up (like my cleric occasionally getting hit--though not often with his AC) but I still never used his Wrath of the Storm until late in the 4th session. I just never felt the need. The threat was minimal by then, I had plenty of HP, etc.

Even when my Fighter got missed (which happened often enough), I never bothered with Riposte, either. Again, just not necessary.

LOL I totally agree with War Magic! I loved it at 2nd level, but found the 6th level feature annoying. Of course, that happens a lot for me, so my PCs rarely make it past 5th level in any one class. I multiclass a lot.

I'm considering making a house rule and seeing if my DM will go with it to allow me to treat subclass feature levels as additional ASI/feats. I can see taking a feat or two more defining for my PC than most subclass features--but I worry that might be too powerful.

EDIT: I should add in all four sessions I never used Action Surge or Second Wind for my Fighter, either. 🤷‍♂️ It wasn't that the encounters were "easy" or anything. My wizard and fighter each almost died in two separate encounters--I would have used them in the one where my fighter went down, but he went down before I could...
It sounds like we have different approaches to 5e. I find myself having to make sure I don't use all my features too fast in case I need them for later. This is more of an issue at lower levels. Not really a thing past level 7.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It sounds like we have different approaches to 5e. I find myself having to make sure I don't use all my features too fast in case I need them for later. This is more of an issue at lower levels. Not really a thing past level 7.
It isn't surprising considering I think of myself as an outlier compared to most 5E players. :)

I am very conservative when I play because I only try to use the minimum I need to overcome a challenge. When I DM, my players never really know when they will have a chance to recover and rest. If they use feature too quickly, the can easily find themselves in a lot of difficulty later on. So, when I play I have the same mindset. Sometimes this makes things a bit harder, but rarely am I ever in a position where I have exhausted all of my PC's features.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I take the unconventional approach that all archetypes can be fun and therefore there aren't any "bad" archetypes in the game.

But also Thief puts me, personally, to sleep, so away it goes.

Aldarc

Legend
That is a bit insulting, you realize, don't you?

Otherwise, explain it. How does my comment say more about me than the quality of the Battle Master?
You think that the Battle Master is not good but in the same breath profess that you don't use its primary features, mainly because you can never remember to use them. If someone said that the Eldritch Knight wasn't very good but then they confess that they never remember to cast spells or use their EK features, it would be equally bad. This is why your comments seem to say more about you than the quality of the Battle Master.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You think that the Battle Master is not good but in the same breath profess that you don't use its primary features, mainly because you can never remember to use them. If someone said that the Eldritch Knight wasn't very good but then they confess that they never remember to cast spells or use their EK features, it would be equally bad. This is why your comments seem to say more about you than the quality of the Battle Master.
You aren't telling me how that says more about me.

First, I never said I "can never remember to use them." I said "I forget about them more often than not," as well as "I just don't need them". You also seem to think that is "mainly" the reason, even though it was after not needing them. So, if you are going to read my posts and respond please make sure you read them all and don't read more into them than what I am writing. Thanks.

If I play a subclass and don't feel I need to use its features or OFTEN forget they are even there, that means they aren't that good IMO. If they were good (to me) I would certainly use them. A lot of subclasses I play have features I use regularly, which means they are good to me.

The concept of the Battle Master is decent enough. The execution is lacking. Players do complain that using and tracking the superiority die is too fiddly as well. They also complain most of the maneuvers really just add extra damage. Looking at its features you find very little that makes the subclass a "Battle Master."

Aldarc

Legend
You aren't telling me how that says more about me.
It sounds like you are trying to fish for a different answer than the one that I gave or maybe one that is more personally insulting about you. No idea which. Nor do I care to elaborate further. I have no desire to make this more personal than it already is, especially when you seem itching to have an argument.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It sounds like you are trying to fish for a different answer than the one that I gave or maybe one that is more personally insulting about you. No idea which. Nor do I care to elaborate further. I have no desire to make this more personal than it already is, especially when you seem itching to have an argument.
Well, you made it about me, not about the subclass. But then you elaborate on the subclass and EK instead of telling me how you can judge learning something about me from a personal comment about my thoughts on the BM subclass.

So, if you don't want people to call you out on personal judgements, please don't make them. If you want to share your views and why you find the BM to be good in contrast to my points, that is great and I welcome it.

Remove ads