• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Companion Thread to D&D Survivor: Dragons, Metallic

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I recall various bits of lore about the platinum dragon gods.

Lendys was the Lawful Neutral wingless platinum dragon god of justice and judgement, who was so strict and focused on his duties that his platinum scales have tarnished from lack of care of himself.

Tamara was the Neutral Good wingless platinum dragon goddess of light, mercy, and forgiveness, considered the most benevolent of the original dragon gods created by Io/Asgorath (at least according to some myths).

Bahamut then was a balance of the two, being a Lawful Good platinum dragon god that combined Lendys's strong sense of justice with Tamara's compassion and kind nature. In some myths, it is even stated that Bahamut is the child of the first two, and that he would go one to become the more popular platinum dragon god.

Of course, there are so many different myths and interpretations of the dragon deities and their origins that nothing is really set in stone, which is something I like about many of the D&D pantheons. I personally prefer the myths of him coming directly into existence from Io's death alongside Tiamat, or the two being mates that created the First World together but that's just me.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
So, for those wondering where references to "multiple platinum dragons" come from, I refer you to the old Mayfair Games product, Role Aids #721: Dragons, where Platinum Dragons are a whole group, alongside Silver, Gold, Green, Copper, Black, Brassine, Blue, White, Bronze, Red, and Spectral Dragons. I assume this made it into more than a few campaigns back in the day, and has resulted in the concept hitting many D&D campaigns since then.
Platinum Dragons.png

Personally, I added Tiamat and Bahamut to the polls, but not the other "Dragon Gods" because they weren't originally gods, and aren't gods in a lot of campaigns -- in most AD&D campaigns, they remain powerful beings but are more like "Dragon Archetypes" than gods (a concept I believe comes directly from the 2E Draconomicon). They became gods in 4E, I think, where they were looking to make a pantheon with some D&D history behind it (hence the god "Ioun," from ioun stones).

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

I'm beginning to think a lot of people haven't noticed that the Dragon polls I'm doing aren't "D&D 5E" -- I deliberately made the tag "D&D General" because I wanted to cover all the dragons I could find.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
who is Ahi anyway?
Dragon magazine 62, he was created as a twin to Rahab the gray dragon, both hatched from the same egg. He lives in the clouds, can turn into a gaseous cloud, and has cloud of gas breath weapons, one of which turns its victims into gaseous forms (clouds).
I dunno why it wasnt just called a Cloud Dragon.

The name Ahi is derived from the Vedas, a asura/naga/dragon who drank all the worlds water

RealAlHazred

Dragon magazine 62, he was created as a twin to Rahab the gray dragon, both hatched from the same egg. He lives in the clouds, can turn into a gaseous cloud, and has cloud of gas breath weapons, one of which turns its victims into gaseous forms (clouds).
I dunno why it wasnt just called a Cloud Dragon.

The name Ahi is derived from the Vedas, a asura/naga/dragon who drank all the worlds water
I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I feel like Rahab has more personality in the article than Ahi. Rahab is more like a supervillain, but more approachable as an NPC than Tiamat. Ahi feels kind of like a footnote to me.

dave2008

Legend
Personally, I added Tiamat and Bahamut to the polls, but not the other "Dragon Gods" because they weren't originally gods, and aren't gods in a lot of campaigns -- in most AD&D campaigns, they remain powerful beings but are more like "Dragon Archetypes" than gods (a concept I believe comes directly from the 2E Draconomicon). They became gods in 4E, I think, where they were looking to make a pantheon with some D&D history behind it (hence the god "Ioun," from ioun stones).
The problem for me was not that Tiamat and Bahamut are gods or not, but they are unique dragons. Nothing on these list should be individuals IMO.

Remove ads