D&D (2024) Companions, Familiars and Summons

I hope they replace the "summon 16 CR 1/8 minions" spells with "summon 1 swarm" spells where the swarm gets bigger if you use a higher-level spell. Who really ever needed one dretch or lemure anyway?
It's one of my issues with Animate Dead and the Necromancer subclass ability Undead Thralls. As they are in current PHB, a Necromancer could get a hundred actions a round for all those undead minions with just their one bonus action.

Stalker0

Legend
Highly agree on the swarms, 5e action economy doesn’t work with the 16 creature variants, it’s too good. One swarm is a lot better.

I think they might use the Tasha summoned variant for ranger companions and familiars as well. It’s a good backbone model, no reason it can’t be used for these circumstances

Love the swarm concept for animate dead. I wonder why I hadn't thought of it before.

I have a necromancer (true or adjacent) every campaign. Every campaign. Its always someone different, too.

Otherwise I try to limit any kind of summons to one creature, and try to make it interesting. I think my games tend towards transplanar shenanigans, so there is a fair bit of summoning and travel. I would expect any major spell casting class to be able to call some sort of otherworldly being. I also try to strongly encourage one pet or hench per player.

Familiars are housecat / crow / corn snake sized. They're spirits in animal form, so I have them with functionally the same stats. You have to do the ritual over again if they die, so there's a little financial sting. But, they do have a personality, and while loyal, you might wake up with poop in your shoes if you continue to send them to die. Or you forget the spell they taught you. Small, petty things to indicate their displeasure.

Last edited:

Remove ads