Company of the Bitter Blade, Reborn! OOC Thread

Blue_Genie

First Post
Patlin said:
Also, I'd like to thank you again, Blue Genie, for saving our game.
Well, I didn't so much as save it and reincarnated it, but you're welcome. I'm glad to give Eberron a try.

While I am on a subject, what kind of game are you guys interested in running? The adventure I have selected can be played many different ways, so what kinds of things interest you in a PbP game? What don't you like? What are your pet peeves?

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Hobbes Player

Well as this is only my second game I have no idea. Most of the lives games my group plays is hack and slash which I thoroughly love but I have tried to RP as much a spossible when given the chance (which is often enough) so I am trying to gain better skills at that as well. I am a pretty good DM but I know compared to other DM's I am sorely lacking in some skills. I am hoping to see how other people play and DM so I can learn to be better with my game. So however you want to go about it is fine with me.

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss' Player

Elocin said:
Well as this is only my second game I have no idea. Most of the lives games my group plays is hack and slash which I thoroughly love but I have tried to RP as much a spossible when given the chance (which is often enough) so I am trying to gain better skills at that as well. I am a pretty good DM but I know compared to other DM's I am sorely lacking in some skills. I am hoping to see how other people play and DM so I can learn to be better with my game. So however you want to go about it is fine with me.

Elocin said it well. I like hack and slash, but I like roleplaying, too. The only thing I can think of offhand that I find irritating in PbP gaming is when the game stalls due to lack of posting. :) I'll try to let you know if I come up with any usefull suggestions later.

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm more into suspense, solving mysteries, and great dialog. Combat is an opportunity to shine, but it slows things down quite a bit online, so I think in general it is best reserved for important events, rather than a random encounter.

GPEKO

First Post
I also like to roleplay but combat can sometimes be a nice change of pace.

They're also one more things that's important to every game but I feel it's more important in a PbP. It's quite easy, as a DM, to just lead the PCs by the nose. As a player, this can be annoying and detrimental to good RP. The problem is that, in PbP, a little bit of 'leading by the nose' is almost necessary to keep the game moving forward. I think it's important to find a just balance.

Blue_Genie

First Post
GPEKO said:
They're also one more things that's important to every game but I feel it's more important in a PbP. It's quite easy, as a DM, to just lead the PCs by the nose. As a player, this can be annoying and detrimental to good RP. The problem is that, in PbP, a little bit of 'leading by the nose' is almost necessary to keep the game moving forward. I think it's important to find a just balance.
I agree with you there. It's a very fine line to walk. The good thing about PbP, is that the pace is so slow (compared with tabletop gaming), that as a GM you can give the players a lot more leeway. If they go off in an unexpected direction, you always have the time to throw something together on short notice and even develop whole new sideplots or storylines.

Bobitron

Explorer
Blue_Genie said:
...you always have the time to throw something together on short notice and even develop whole new sideplots or storylines.

I haven't been DM'ing lately because of frustration due to that, but I have to admit this Pbp format is pretty interesting. I'll let you all know if I start up a game.

GPEKO

First Post
the DM said:
Comprehend Languages: (Roll 1) 3 + 10 = 13; (Roll 2) 1 + 10 = 11, failure, materials cost and XP lost.
Faerie Fire: (Roll 1) 3 + 10 = 13; (Roll 2) 11 + 10 = 21, success!
Ok, I'm not Shaggy and I'm not really familiar with the artificier class, but I think he meant to try again if he failed one of the scroll (i.e. he placed them in order of importance). So, the second attempt (which was successful) should be a second go at Comprehend Languages while Faerie Fire was never attempted.

EDIT: Funny, I just remembered: Magnus has a scroll of comprehend languages. You might want Faerie Fire after all Shaggy.

Last edited:

Blue_Genie

First Post
You could also spend another 25gp and 2XP and have another two rolls to create it.

Also, Shaggy, I forget, do the artificers automatically know all the spells off of their spell list, or do they have a limited amount that they know, like the Sorcerers do? I just noticed that there aren't any infusions listed on your character sheet.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
They automatically know them all, every level, so I figured it would be better not to list them. If you want me to, I can.

I would spend the extra 25 gp and 2 xp, except that I don't have it. The reason I made as many scrolls as I did, at the levels I did was because it was how much money people lent me to make them. Stupid limited resources.

Also, GPEKO figured out what I wanted to do. BUT he also makes a good point about Faerie fire vs. Comprehend Languages. Should I assume because I didn't know he had a scroll of Comp Languages, Tok didn't know, or should I assume I was told ahead of time, and would have made a scroll of Faerie Fire instead? I will do either BG, whichever you say.

Remove ads