D&D 5E Compare Spell Jammer to Starfinder

plisnithus8

Adventurer
With rumors of Spelljammer coming, I’ve got the space itch and have been reading Starfinder rules (never played Pathfinder or pre-5e D&D).

Those of you that know Spelljammer, how would you describe its play and tone, especially compared to Starfinder?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Spelljammer is almost literally sailboats in outer space.
So no real sci-fi elements? Just ships flying to kingdoms on other planets? That sounds disappointing.
With all I know about SJ being Dice, Camera, Action and Giff with guns, is the tone of SJ supposed to be silly?

Zardnaar

Legend
With rumors of Spelljammer coming, I’ve got the space itch and have been reading Starfinder rules (never played Pathfinder or pre-5e D&D).

Those of you that know Spelljammer, how would you describe its play and tone, especially compared to Starfinder?

Tone of Spelljammer is a bit silly. It's age of sail in space with magic. Plus guns.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I always felt like Spelljammer was ‘Age of Sails’ type large ships.
Star finder seems like harder Sci-fi
Not to confuse anyone... harder yes, but the core d&d/PF tropes are still mostly present It's more like starship troopers/babyon5 with magic/psionics/undead/cyborgs/computers/energy weapons/magic weapons/etc all together plus the occasional dwarf or whatever (there are a bunch of new races but some rules for using standard pf ones iirc). IIC they do a spellplague/sundering type "something happened" tied with star wars type "long ago somewhere nobody remembers or cares where". It's about as hard scifi as the rifts setting was

Personally I prefer the pseudo fantast/scifi future mix of starfinder to the silly sometimes near slapstick of spelljammer's anachronisms but I never really got into spelljammer back in the day.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Silly? Don't see it. There have been flying ships (actual sailing ships that flew) in D&D before; SJ just categorized them and added space travel rules to D&D. Yeah, there were some strange monsters, but when has that not been a part of D&D? Also some of the ships were very strange: squid-shaped ships, whale-shaped ships, or spider-shaped ships come to mind. The Spelljammer itself was a huge creature that looked like a bigger-than-colossal manta ray peopled with several factions all trying to gain control of it or escape from it. It flew around space as it wanted and had a big city on its back. D&D has always had a claim to the absurd; I remember a gun-slinging, old western-version angel (solar) in one adventure and the silliness never stops there even in "normal" D&D. Spelljamming was what driving the space ship was called and only spellcasters could drive and lost all spells in memory just trying (taking out the party's big guns for ship-to-ship combat). Siege weapons got described fully and some new ones added. So as always, silly is a part of it like silly is a part of all D&D; but silly as the descriptor for it, I think not.

Remove ads