D&D 5E Compilation of Alternate Ability Score Generation Methods

Xardion

Explorer
Gonna necro this thread, as I came up with a pretty interesting way to roll stats. But first, some background.

My group (myself, my wife, and some friends) has always preferred rolling stats to using point buy, and while the standard 4d6 drop 1 method works well enough, we always end up needing to roll multiple sets. We've always had a certain expectation of power level from the PCs, and there's enough randomness even in the standard method to end up with either multiple sub-8 scores in a set, or just really bland sets of mostly all 10's or 11's.

So, I sought out a way to alleviate this while still rolling dice (any discussion of point buy in my group will usually get thrown out the window). The guidelines were scores from 7 to 18 (so nothing below a 7 can be possible), and the upper end (16 to 18) needs to have about the same probabilities as the standard method.

I wrote a little program to test various methods and calculate probabilities, and finally stumbled on a perfect solution that does EXACTLY what I set out to do.

The core of the method is rolling 3d4 + 2d3 + 1d6, keep 3 dice, and add a flat 3. Now, if you're doing the math, you'll notice that only allows for scores of 6 to 17, and that the probabilities for 16 and 17 are on the low side compared to 4d6 drop 1. So, there are some special rules added to fix those issues.

First, it's important that you don't use ACTUAL 3-sided dice, and instead are using 6-sided dice to roll the d3's. Second, the actual d6 needs to be a different color, since you'll be treating it as is. The special rules come up when you roll triples on the 6-sided dice (reading all the numbers AS IS, not treating any of them as d3's), or if you roll quads on the d4's and the actual d6 (so you'd obviously not look for quads if you roll a five or six on that die). Here's the triple and quad rules:
If you roll triples of three or under, the result is a 17. Above three is an 18. For quads, a one is a 16, two and three are a 17, and all fours is an 18. Also, you always check for triples and quads first (in that order), since that will always result in a higher score than if you keep 3 and add a flat 3. The order does matter there, since rolling ALL ones should result in a 17 (a triple one), not a 16 (a quad one)

The triple and quad rules have multiple effects. First, they preclude the possibility of rolling a 6, and make rolling an 18 possible (a 4+ triple, or a quad four). Also, they shave off some of the probabilities for rolling a 9 or 12 and use that to bring the 16 and 17 probabilities in line with 4d6 drop 1.

After doing a test with 20 million rolls, the probabilities look like this:
die_probability_graph.png

I also did some tests with actual dice, and the results were pretty good. None of the sets I rolled would have been considered bad or dull, though a couple sets with end up with 2 16's or 17's, which is expected with the somewhat increased chance of a 16 vs 4d6 drop 1. Didn't roll an 18 on any of them, which I didn't expect to as I only rolled 5 sets. The single set with a 17 was also the only time I rolled a triple or quad (a triple 3), so it doesn't happen that often.

EDIT: Another thing you can do is limit the number of triples and quads in a set, like 1 of each or just 1 of either, which I would recommend doing. It opens the possibility of getting a 6 again, but a 6 really isn't worse than a 7.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
to add to necromancy,

we do point buy 99%, but

we could roll 5d2+5, that gives 10-15 spread with average of 12,5. same as 27 pts most even spread of 12,12,12,13,13,13.

chance for 10 or 15 is 1 in 32, so it would all be well rounded characters with few extreme scores.

Xardion

Explorer
Yeah, I played with doing more, smaller dice, but it ended up with really homogenous stats much of the time in any case that involved keeping more than 3 dice.

Xardion

Explorer
It works out fine in our group if someone ends up a little more powerful, because none of us are competitive, but we ALL can be a little impulsive, and it helps to have someone who can give a little more grunt when we're all staring down a TPK because we're idiots :p

I really like the Dice Point method which combines the control of Point Buy with the variety of Rolling!

For this method each player gets four dice points to distribute among their ability scores. They can apply no more than three points to any single ability. Afterward they roll for each ability according to the number of points they spent on it:
  • 3 points = 18
  • 2 points = 14 + 1d4
  • 1 point = 8 + 1d4 + 1d6
  • 0 points = 1d4 + 1d6 + 1d8
This allows enough control for players to get the scores they need but also maintains enough randomness to avoid predictable ability score arrays. Plus it completely removes the ability to dump scores—something I really like about it.

Last edited:

Xardion

Explorer
I like the concept of how that works, because it does give you some control over how your stats come out without just flat-out picking them. But, it wouldn't solve my group's problem, which is rolling multiple sets or re-rolling individual scores because you keep rolling garbage. Even if you went with the most evenly spread option, 1 point each for 4 of the stats, and then 0 on the other two, the chances of you ending up with a terrible set of scores is actually still quite high, much more so than even the standard 4d6 method.

One thing about the Dice Point system is that it is adjustable. Some groups might use 3 dice points while others might use 5 or even 6. I'd be careful using any more than that because a dice point is a powerful thing.

Iry

Hero
Everyone rolls 4d6 Drop Lowest six times.
Vote on which set of rolls EVERYONE will use.
Assign those to the attributes of your choice.

Xardion

Explorer
Everyone rolls 4d6 Drop Lowest six times.
Vote on which set of rolls EVERYONE will use.
Assign those to the attributes of your choice.
That's essentially what our group has been doing for a while, though we really just check that the ability bonuses are all within a point or two of each other when added up.

Remove ads